Royal vehicle returns to display

A LAND Rover that formerly belonged to the Queen has returned to the Grampian Transport Museum in Alford following its appearance in the Diamond Jubilee Celebrations in London. Stunningly restored to its former glory, it is now back on display in the museum alongside another historic Royal vehicle.

The Land Rover was the eleventh Pre-Production 86 inch model to be delivered and went on to have a rich connection with the Royal Family. It was first used by the Queen and Duke of Edinburgh around the Balmoral Estate and then by the Queen Mother at Birkhall. Following this, the vehicle was sold to Pringles Garage in Ballater where it was kept until Prince Charles discovered it in 2010 and arranged for it to be fully restored to its original condition by Land Rover.

Mike Ward, Museum Curator is delighted to have such a significant vehicle back in the collection. “It remains one of the most exceptional early Land Rover’s around and is popular with visitors from the UK and beyond because of its Royal connections.”

Alongside the Land Rover in the museum is a Daimler Limousine delivered to King George VI in 1949. One of an identical pair, the Daimler was used as a state car by The Queen following her father’s death in 1952. Having covered 41,000 miles, the car was shipped to Australia where it remained until it was repatriated in 1988.

The Land Rover is currently on loan to the museum from Robert Pringle of Victoria Garage in Ballater.

For more information visit www.gtm.org.uk