FOOD Standards officers have issued a warning to local retailers, after it emerged that shops in the area may have been supplied with a vodka branded as a health risk.
Samples of ‘Drop Vodka’ have been found to breach a number of safety guidelines, and have shown the presence of isopropyl alcohol, which can cause poisoning if ingested. A number of other substances harmful to health have also been found in the 70cl bottles of the product.
The product, which does not contain enough alcohol to legally be described as vodka, has been found on sale in England and Wales in small independent retailers, corner shops and petrol stations. Although the product has not yet been found in Scotland, retailers and customers are being asked to remain vigilant.
Enforcement officers have the power withdraw the product from sale and have it destroyed under the Food Safety Act 1990.
Cllr Peter Argyle, chair of Aberdeenshire Council’s Infrastructure Services Committee, said: “I would hope this product does not find its way to Aberdeenshire, and would urge potential customers to heed the alert.”
Vice-chair Cllr Jill Webster said: “By working with retailers and alerting the public we can do our best to ensure this dangerous product does not find its way onto Aberdeenshire shelves or into homes.”
Anybody who sees ‘Drop Vodka’ for sale in Aberdeenshire should contact the council’s environmental health team on 01467 628365 for advice. Retailers stocking the product should withdraw it from sale immediately and contact the team on the same number.