POLICE investigated a bomb scare on the eve of the opening of Donald Trump’s new Aberdeenshire golf course.
Officers were called to the Menie Estate on Monday of last week after a call from a member of the public, alleged to be a disgruntled former Trump contractor, claiming a wartime device was buried on the site.
The claims turned out to be a hoax and the grand opening of the links went ahead the next day.
The tycoon’s head of development, George Sorial, said the claims were “ludicrous”.
He added: “The allegations were made by a disgruntled ex-contractor.”
A Grampian Police spokeswoman said: “We can confirm we received an uncorroborated claim of a historic device buried at the Menie Estate.”
“After inquiries were carried out, Grampian Police are satisfied that no further action is required.”
The course opening the following day went ahead without a hitch.
The billionaire hit the first ball on what he has described as “the greatest golf course in the world” and partnered former Ryder Cup captain Colin Montgomerie in the opening foursome.
The links officially opened to members of the public on Sunday and players can use it daily from 7.30am until October 31. A programme of events and activities is scheduled for the winter months.