English coroner to hold enquiry into A90 death

editorial image

A NEWBURGH woman who died in a collision on the A90 last year is to have her death investigated by a coroner in England.

The inquest, to be held by the South and West Cambridgeshire Coroner, follows the return of Gillian Ancell’s body to her native Bedford for burial. An inquest is standard practice for bodies returned to England for burial, after any unusual death.

Mrs Ancell was killed after apparently walking in front of traffic on the busy A90 late last October, just south of Tipperty. Police closed the road to carry out investigations, which indicated that Mrs Ancell had been hit by a number of vehicles, and died at the scene. It later emerged that the 57-year old had suffered depression, after being involved in a 2008 car accident which claimed the life of Turriff Academy student Robyn Oldham. Although a subsequent enquiry exonerated Mrs Ancell of any wrongdoing, it was revealed that she was being sued for hundreds of thousands of pounds by Miss Oldham’s family.

A spokeswoman for South and West Cambridgeshire Coroner, Mr David Morris, said that a date for the inquest had yet to be set, but that such an inquest was standard practice in cases involving an unusual death in any other part of the UK.

“The office has no further comment at this point in time, but further details will become available in a month or so.” she told the Times. “We can’t confirm a definitive date at this time.”

The death is still being investigated by the Aberdeen Procurator Fiscal. A spokesman said: ““The Procurator Fiscal at Aberdeen has received a report in connection with the death of a 56-year-old woman on the A90 on October 27, 2011. The report remains under the consideration of the Procurator Fiscal, who is in contact with the deceased’s family and will continue to keep them fully advised of developments.”