Extended opening for railway museum

The recently restored carriage will be on display at Maud Railway Museum.
The recently restored carriage will be on display at Maud Railway Museum.

Maud Railway Museum will open its doors to the public from Saturday, September 3 to Sunday, September 11, to mark the arrival of a special piece of memorabilia.

The museum will have on display for the first time the recently restored carriage used to convey convicts from Peterhead Prison to the Stirlinghill Quarry at Boddam where granite was extracted for building the breakwaters at Peterhead Harbour of Refuge.

The four-wheeled vehicle was built about 1886 and contains two secure compartments used to convey the prisoners who were accompanied by armed guards.

The Railway operated until completion of the project in 1956 after which it was demolished. The carriage body was recovered from a farm near Crimond about 15 years ago and was originally moved to the old Peterhead Prison as a possible restoration project for prisoners.

For various reasons this did not progress and in 2012 the vehicle passed to the Maud Museum Trustees.

With the help of Heritage Lottery Funding and local donations the carriage has been restored at Stanegate Restorations in Northumberland using a chassis donated by the Scottish Railway Preservation Society.

It should be arriving at Maud at the middle of next week from Beamish Museum where it has recently been displayed.