MOVES to increase the use of Kintore’s historic Town House could give the prominent building a new lease of life.
The Town House is a Category A listed building situated at the heart of Kintore Town Centre. Work began on the historic building in 1737, the year after the Earl of Kintore, who paid for construction, was elected Provost. The building originally housed a Council Room, a schoolroom, a meal girnal where meal and grain from the Earl’s tenants was stored, and the burgh’s jail under the double stairs.
The building is owned by Aberdeenshire Council, who have a small Council staff based there.