Over 280 Aberdeenshire Council care staff have completed best practice in dementia care training with a further 254 currently undertaking the course.
Best Practice in Dementia Care is a six-part, self-study course forcare home, healthcare, day care and domiciliary care staff. The course is accredited by the Dementia Services Development Centre at the University of Stirling.
The course aims to help carers gain new knowledge and understanding that will improve how they care for people with dementia.
Funding was secured last year from Aberdeenshire Change Fund to employ a Training Facilitator to enable more staff to complete the training. The change fund has agreed to provide further funding to support an additional facilitator to train another 128 staff over the next year.
Chair of Aberdeenshire Council’s Social Work & Housing committee, Cllr Karen Clark said: “This training represents a significant investment to ensure that carers across the board have the necessary skills and knowledge to provide excellent care to people with dementia.”
Places on the course are also being offered to those in the NHS and independent sector.
Initial evaluation of the course found that 70% of participants felt the course influenced their work while the majority of the other 30% said it reaffirmed what they were already doing.
Vice Chair of the Social Work and Housing committee, Cllr Alisan Norrie said: “With the number of people over 65 expected to rise significantly so to will the number of people with Dementia. It is important that care staff have the right skills and knowledge to help service users and their families.”