Residents respond to budget consultation

editorial image

Democratic Independent and Green councillors Paul Johnston and Martin Ford are reporting that more than a hundred people have so far responded to their consultation on Aberdeenshire Council’s budget.

The councillors decided on the move after repeatedly voicing frustration at the lack of public consultation by the council leadership.

The deadline for responding is Sunday, 25 January.

Councillors will set the budget for the next financial year, and provisionally for future years, on February 12.

Leader of the Democratic Independent and Green councillors Paul Johnston said: “The good level of response to our budget consultation shows that residents do want to let the council know their views on budget decisions.

“It’s only right that residents can have their say, and that councillors can take residents’ views into account when making decisions on the council’s budget.”

Green councillor Martin Ford said: “Aberdeenshire Council is facing very difficult choices over the next several years. So it’s really important everyone has an opportunity to express views on what the council should do, before decisions are taken.

“I would urge anyone who has not already done so, but wants to express a view, to respond to the budget consultation during the next week.

“I would also like to thank those who have already responded.”

The councillors say financial projections indicate that significant savings will be required in the council’s budget over the next four years, on a scale that means services are bound to be affected.