TWO Aberdeenshire councillors have rejected a visit to Donald Trump’s golf resort ahead of its official opening next month.
Green councillor Martin Ford and independent Paul Johnston were invited to tour the Menie Estate course by Trump official George Sorial.
Green MSP for Glasgow, Patrick Harvie, has also declined to attend, saying he had Parliamentary and constituency commitments.
Mr Harvie has accused the Trump Organisation of the “destruction of an important natural asset.”
Councillor Ford, another long-term crtic of the development, said: ““The Menie dune system was an amazing and beautiful natural habitat before it was targeted for development.
“I have seen the damage inflicted on the Site of Special Scientific Interest when visiting local residents.
“This was officially sanctioned vandalism of an important nature conservation area on a horrendous scale. I don’t have to go to Menie to see a Portacabin.”
Mr Sorial, the Trump Organisation’s international development director, played down the refusal of the invitation, saying Councillor Ford and other opponents had been invited to visit “several times over the years” and that the door “remained open.”
Meanwhile, a list of world-class list of golfers is being drawn up to join the tycoon at the opening of the new course on July 10.
Film star Sir Sean Connery has expressed a desire to be part of the ceremony.
The Menie Estate course has been ranked among the 10 best in Britain and Ireland before a ball has even been struck.
The championship links recently ranked eighth in Golf World’s top 100 list, which Trump officials said triggered a huge surge in bookings for the first two months.