Day of action on Scotland's roads

Hundreds of Police officers across the country will be involved in a major crackdown on drink and drug driving today (Friday) as part of a continuing campaign.

Friday, 10th June 2016, 10:22 am
Updated Monday, 13th June 2016, 12:01 pm
Police officers will be out on the country's roads to back up the force's road policing division as part of the summer drink/drug driving campaign.

The two-week operation, headed by the road policing division, started last weekend and combines high visibility patrols and roadside checks to catch drink and drug drivers, or motorists whose standard of driving causes concern.

The ‘Local Days of Action’, which involve spot checks carried out by community and response policing teams, are being run in support of the wider campaign.

Chief Superintendent Andy Edmonston, Head of Road Policing, said: “As we are in the middle of the summer drink/drug driving campaign, this means we are able to staff numerous check points across the whole country in addition to increasing the number of vehicles and staff we have on mobile patrol.

“You are as likely to be stopped in a rural environment as in all of our town and cities to check that you are driving in a safe and legal way. Our increased visibility and activity throughout the country aims to reassure the public that drink/drug driving is unacceptable. If you choose to drink and drive or drive whilst unfit due to the effects of drugs there is a high likelihood that you will be caught.

“Even if you’re just over the limit, you’re still a drink driver in the eyes of the law – there is no grey area. This may affect your current and future employment and can have wider implications for other areas of your life including overseas travel. If you drink and drive, you won’t just spoil summer, the effects can last a lifetime.

“Our message is simple – the best approach is none.”

Anyone with information on drink/drug drivers can contact Police Scotland on 101 or 999 in an emergency. Alternatively call Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.