Easter chocolate treats could harm you pet - warns vet

Easter can be a fun time for pets as well as their owner, but vets are warning not to let your animal eat chocolate as it could poison them.

Saturday, 26th March 2016, 7:00 pm

Although chocolate is harmless to humans the tasty treat contains theobromine which if eaten by dogs can seriously affect the heart, central nervous systems and kidneys.

Symptoms can occur anywhere between four and 24 hours after consumption and can include vomiting, diarrhoea, breathlessness and even seizures.

Dogs will react differently depending on how much theobromine they have ingested. Their size and breed are big factors, so if your pet is acting abnormal, it’s best to seek immediate veterinary help.

Although dogs are most at risk from poisoning – it is best to keep any kind of domestic pet away from chocolate.

Along with chocolate eggs, hot cross buns are a definite no-no when it comes to giving pets an Easter treat this weekend.

The raisins contained within these sweet snacks are also toxic for dogs, and can produce serious consequences if consumed.

Dogs of any age, breed or gender can be affected by raisin/grape toxicity. Evidence of raisin/grape toxicity can be as obvious as vomiting and diarrhoea.

Vets Now, the leading provider of emergency veterinary care for pets in the UK, has noted that after Christmas, Easter is the busiest time of year for vets dealing with chocolate poisoning.