Advice on dealing with the aftermath of flood damage

The council has provided a range of advice for those affected.
The council has provided a range of advice for those affected.

Many homeowners who have been victim to recent floods may not know where to turn for support in dealing with related issues.

Aberdeenshire Council’s Trading Standards team, in partnership with Citizens Advice, can provide help and advice on a range of issues following flood damage.

If your property or possessions are damaged as a result of flooding, or you incur extra expenses, you should make a claim on your insurance.

If this does not resolve matters or you end up in dispute with your insurance company, contact the Citizens Advice Consumer Helpline on 03454 04 05 06 in the first instance.

They provide free, impartial advice on your legal rights in the event of a dispute and will refer complaints to trading standards for further help if required.

Further useful advice about insurance problems can be found on the Citizens Advice website.

Commenting, Aberdeenshire Council’s Trading Standards manager, Wilma Urquhart, said: “You should be wary of anyone cold-calling you offering home improvements.

“Having your home flooded is distressing enough as it is, please don’t make it worse by being ripped off,” she added.