AN ABERDEENSHIRE bridge, closed for several weeks following a road accident, has been reopened.
The Ardlethen Bridge on the Ellon to Tarves road was shut at the beginning of June after being struck by a heavy vehicle, causing substantial structural damage.
Aberdeenshire Council officials said at the time that the parapet and side walls of the bridge over two of the spans had been either knocked out completely or were significantly displaced.
Initial assessment of the repair work required indicated that the bridge would need to remain closed for around three months.
A signed diversion route was established via Ellon, Pitmedden, Tarves and Raxton. Grampian Police appealed for witnesses following the accident.
The council announced on Monday that the bridge had been reopened.
The local authority’s head of roads and landscape services, Philip McKay, said: “Our teams have worked hard to undertake the necessary repairs to the Ardlethen Bridge enabling it to be reopened to traffic as quickly as possible.
“We understand how important this bridge is for local people and we would like to thank them for their patience while these essential repairs were being carried out.”
Mid Formartine Councillor Paul Johnston welcomed the reopening.
He said: “We are very grateful that the bridge has reopened and that heavy lorries are now using more appropriate routes again.”
At the time Councillor Johnstone said the closure had sparked local concerns that lorries from the nearby quarry would be diverted along small country roads.