Amateurs force a draw against Halliburton

Share this article

Ellon were back on league duty with an important fixture against Halliburton.

The home side are below Ellon with games in hand, so it was an important fixture for both sides as they try to get clear of the relegation battle.

In what could be described as a fairly uneventful first period, Ellon probably just shaded the contest. Ally Laird had a good game, breaking forward from his defensive duties but too often the ball failed to stick up front.

Halliburton always looked dangerous though, and Laing had a neat lob well saved by McLaren who once more kept the experienced Cumming out of the team. Slesser then found Murray in the box with a well delivered free kick, but his effort went wide.

Brown for Halliburton was denied twice by McLaren before Hamilton for Ellon had an effort which may have gone in, but the referee waved play on.

Hamilton again looked lively at the start of the second period but his acrobatic effort was well held by Young.

Ellon then had a great breakaway, which saw McGill about to break free of the home defence only to be cynically pulled back with no card for the defender McDonald. Goodwin fired the free kick over from 20 yards.

Kyle Jaques playing wide for Halliburton was causing some problems for the Ellon defence, and it was from one of his crosses that Wallace had a header just wide.

After 20 minutes of the second half, Halliburton took the lead in bizarre circumstances as keeper McLaren shouted to Taylor to leave the ball but Taylor headed goalwards and into the top corner with the keeper helpless.

This goal really inspired the home side, who pushed forward at every chance. Stuart Jaques was right through on the Ellon goal, but fluffed a good chance.

Then the home side had another good opportunity as Ross Fulton squared from a suspiciously offside position only for Laing’s shot to be saved by McLaren.

Ellon made a couple of changes with first Wilson replacing McGill, with Murray being thrown forward to see if his bustling style would pay dividends. Veteran McShea replaced the tiring Slesser.

McLaren had another good stop from Laing before McShea provided a couple of good crosses for Hamilton and Goodwin.

With the game looking lost, McShea accepted a pass just inside the Halliburton box only to be unceremoniously upended for a stonewall penalty.

Scott Lynch duly dispatched the resultant kick to level matters with just about the last kick of the game.

Man of the Match: Ellon - Scott Lynch, Halliburton - Kyle Jaques

In what was a poor game involving two teams not at the top of their form Ellon were lucky to pull the game level with virtually the last kick of the game.

Equally the home side were lucky to go ahead. In what was a drab affair Ellon will need to improve at home versus RGU on March 26.

McShea came on to good effect and won the penalty but it was his ability to play the simple ball when all around him tried the difficult things that may have marked him down for a place in the starting eleven next week.

ELLON: McLaren, Laird, Slesser, Taylor, Murray,

Hamilton, More, Morrison, Lynch, McGill, Goodwin.

Subs : Cumming, Thomson, Booth, McShea, Wilson