Comfortable win for Formartine who set up third round tie with Forfar

editorial image

As with any cup tie, making an aggressive start is crucial and although the opening tempo was high, it was clear that Formartine had grabbed this game by the throat.

Within a minute, United had the ball into the Shire box after a move down the left involving Smith, Ferries, Burnett and Barbour.

With MacPhee approaching Ramsay managed to get a block in on Barbour’s ball over to his strike partner.

In the fourth minute a move down the right initiated by Lawson brought in Singwall and Burnett whose 35-yard dipping diagonal cross was met by Barbour who thumped in a fierce ten yard header that had Barclay at full stretch to tip the ball round the post.

The opening goal, seemed an inevitability when it arrived in the 14th minute.

MacPhee, Rodger and Barbour all had goal directed attempts denied before Ferries, not far from the penalty spot drove one goalwards.

On its way, it deflected off some part of a defender to put the ball even further beyond the reach of keeper Barclay than it was already going.

No more than a minute later United gained a stranglehold on the game with an absolute peach of a goal.

From the resumption ES made some progress down the right before Smith dispossessed Brisbane and flipped the ball cross field via Andeerson, to Lawson on the right.

He progressed quickly to the half way line before flighting a pass of consummate accuracy to MacPhee inside the left corner of the Shire box.

He instantly had the ball under control looked up and calmly side footed the ball ten yards right, along the edge of the six-yard box for Barbour to blast the ball into the net.

United had been well rewarded for their high tempo start and despite having established a comfortable lead, were soon to realise the mettle of their opposition who battled their way right back into the game.

However, United’s defence looked sound with young Jevan Anderson making a number of telling tackles .

His namesake Stuart read the game superbly and brought experience to organise the reaeguard into a highly effective unit .

What little did get past them was dealt with well, often impressively by Sim.

On the stroke of half time a long diagonal ball from McCormack was headed by Sludden to bring a swift reaction save as Sim dived to is left to deny the visitors.

The second period saw Formartine trying to find the pacy dominance with which they had started the first.

As time went on United looked the fitter side and began bit by bit to reach a position where they were again calling the shots.

Victory was assured for United in the 80th minute.

A lobbed ball from centre out left by Stuart Anderson was collected by Macphee but McGregor, McCormack and White were all over him like an outbreak of impetigo.

A shimmy to his right and a three quarter turn the other way gave him a gap through which he dragged himself and the ball lo leave them in frantic pursuit as he jinked along the edge of the biox before turning to drill the ball goal wards.

Barbour, coming in from the right was onto the ball like an electrified ferret and pinged it beyond the reach of the keeper for the third and decisive goal.

MacPhee’s efforts deserved a goal and it came two minutes later as substitute Lawrence burst forward through the middle using pace and strength to beat off the challenge of Greene before showing amazing peripheral vision to cut the ball fifteen yards left to the advancing MacPhee who continued his run before unloading a vicious drive that was net bound the instant it left his foot.

That completely sealed the result that takes United to the third round and a fascinating home tie against League 1 side Forfar Athletic.