Dull draw at Glendale for Amateurs

Ellon travelled to Maryculter to take on Glendale, who would no doubt be buoyed by their recent 8-1 victory over Hilton. This was a game that both sides needed to win to make sure they retained their Division 1 status, so it was going to be a hard battle on a warm day and a bare pitch,

Both side started slowly with the bumpy pitch making it difficult for both sets of players to establish any fluidity or momentum. Kevin Andesron had an early long range shot held by keeper Walker, but chances were few and far between.

Ellon forced a couple of corners in quick succession but both came to nothing. With 20 minutes gon,e Ellon took the lead. Kevin Anderson broke away from the defence and just as he was about to shoot he was impeded by number four Littlejohn. As it was a last man challenge, he was shown the red card.

Anderson duly picked himself up and sent the keeper the wrong way from the spot. It seemed as if scoring was the worst thing Ellon could have done. Even with 10 men, Glendale took control of the game. Fearn, who had been lively all game, had a great chance which was saved but it did take the home side long to level. From a corner in 33 minutes Livingstone lost his marker to power home a header, bringing the score to 1-1.

Ellon’s attacks were few and far between even with the extra man. But the lively Anderson did manage another effort from distance, which was held by the keeper. At half time the score was still all square.

The second half started fairly uneventfully and the referee appeared intent on making up for the fact that he had sent off one of Glendale’s men, even though he had no choice.

Full back Skinner had to look lively as the speedy right back Stewart mad regular breaks down Ellon’s left. The longer the game went, the more it looked like Ellon had 10 men and not Glendale.

Manager Moir decided that changes were required, and with 23 minutes to go took off Thomson and McShea. On went Goodwin and Hamilton to see if they could win the game for the visitors.

Glendale’s Stewart set off on another powerful run which the away defence could not match, and his cross was met by Fearn but his weak effort was saved at the second attempt by Cumming - a real let off for Ellon.

The game became a bit feisty, with some robust challenges from both sides and eventually Morris had his name taken for a challenge near the home side line.

Hamilton and Goodwin made a difference for Ellon as they played a bit more football after their introduction. But it was still the tireless Anderson who looked the most lively for Ellon, as he had another shot and also nearly broke through after a great run.

Final Score 1-1

Ellon really went off the boil after taking the lead, and it appeared that too many players thought the match was won when Glendale went down to 10 men. But it has to be said that Glendale looked the more likely to win the game, and appeared to want the victory more.

This was a game that both sides needed 3 points from and the draw now means that both sides are still well and truly in the relegation battle.


Ellon: Cumming, Wilson, Skinner, Taylor, Morris, Laird, McShea, Dempster, Murray, Anderson, Thomson. Subs: Goodwin, McGill, Hamilton

Man of the Match: Ellon - Adam Wilson, Glendale - Callum Stewart