Eleven try Ellon crush Grammar

editorial image

After a series of tight matches in which Ellon have started slowly, the emphasis at Rubislaw on Saturday was a fast start.

From the kick off Matthew Emmison rose highest to claim the ball and put Ellon on the front foot. The away team notched the first of eleven tries inside five minutes when Emmison broke off the back of a ruck. His run was supported by Liam Cousins who had come off his wing to take the offload and break through the Grammar defence to score.

Grammar got themselves on the scoreboard after ten minutes when a penalty on the Ellon ten metre line was slotted over by the Grammar number ten. Two minutes later Ellon got their second try when good hands found No. 8 Emmison in the line to break through the defence and score.

Five minutes later Ellon crossed the whitewash again with a flowing move that saw the ball passed all the way from the left wing out to the right, where full back Josh Walker touched down giving Ellon a 17-3 lead. Grammar claimed their only try when a penalty was kicked deep into the corner. The lineout was taken cleanly and the forwards drove over. However, Ellon soon extended their lead when scrum half Ben Shirron dived over to give the away team a 22-8 lead at half time.

Seven minutes into the second half Ellon put the result beyond doubt when a break by Nathan Emery and Liam Cousins took Ellon inside the Grammar 22. The ball was recycled quickly and the impressive Matthew Emmison picked up and ran through the defence to score.

It was Emmison again who set up the next try when a dominant scrum from the Ellon pack was picked up by the No. 8 who threw a long pass to winger Liam Cousins to sidestep two defenders to score.

The winger sealed his hatrick from the restart following a break by Douglas Sharp and good hands from the backs set up Cousins for an easy run in and a touchdown under the posts.

It was Emmison who was next to claim his hatrick when a Grammar defensive kick was brilliantly caught by replacement scrum half Craig Dalgarno, who offloaded to Emmison to burst through and score. Ellon were dominating the play and had opened up a 42-8 lead.

The Ellon players were on fire and Captain Jamie Gillan was next to get on the score sheet after taking a pass from Nathan Emery to sprint through the Grammar defence.

The tenth try eventually came with five minutes left on the clock when a Grammar clearance was claimed by Man of the Match prop Josh Brock. The backs showed good pace and composure to set up Liam Cousins for his fourth try of the afternoon. The scoring was completed with the last play of the game when centre Adam Krasjuk was on hand to dive over following a great break from back row forward Kieran Ewan.

The final score was Grammar 8 – Ellon 59.

Coach Gareth Kemp said: “Another excellent performance and all round great play by every Ellon player.

“Although we scored a lot of tries, we could and should have had more, and certainly should have kicked more conversions”. “Every point will count when we play stronger opposition.”