Ellon United knocked out of GA Cup

editorial image

Inverness has never been a happy hunting ground for Ellon United and history repeated itself last weekend when Inverness City knocked United out of The GA Engineering Ltd Inter Regional Cup at Lister Park by two goals to one.

A bright start by United saw them take a deserved lead in the 10th minute when neat approach work between Scott Firth and Dean McDonald set up Chris Craib to drill home the opener.

The pace and mobility of the home side was beginning to tell and they began to look more and more dangerous.

Morgan Cook was forced into a couple of fine saves before United were punished on the quarter hour mark.

City’s pace out wide did the initial damage and when United were unable to deal with the cross the home side took full advantage to level matters.

With Inverness in charge , a second goal was on the cards but it was rather lucky when it did come in the 35th minute.

A simple pass looked to have been intercepted but the ball took a horrible bounce and the resulting fresh air swing by an United midfielder with the ball running straight through and leading to an easy finish.

United looked to have been thrown the chance to equalise from the spot when James Bain but to United`s dismay the striker was cautioned for diving.

United made an immediate change at the break with Fraser Tait coming into midfield and Chris Craib reverting to his more normal left defensive roll. The visitors almost equalised in the 50th minute through Fraser Gill but the ball appeared to strike the post and somehow stayed out and was scrambled clear.

United made their second change with Callum Tremaine coming on for James Bain who was of course sitting on a yellow card. United`s frustration with the match officials was mounting and built up more when Fraser Gill was tripped after he had burst into the box only for the referee to cation him for diving

when it must have obvious to everyone that it was a stonewall penalty. United were definitely missing the influence of Stuart Massie in midfield with the player serving the first of his two game ban for his red card against Banchory which was made all the more galling by comparison when Inverness’ central defender Kennedy escaped punishment for a bad challenge from behind on Dean McDonald.

Ellon’s final change saw Steven Main replace Scott Firth as the visitors pushed to get back on terms but apart from a fine save by Beattie from a shot by Dean McDonald United were unable to grab an equaliser.

United face a completely new challenge next Saturday with an away trip to Fife to face Thornton Hibs in The Scottish Junior Cup.