Cup joy for Inverurie Academy youngsters after shoot-out

Inverurie Academy S1 side celebrate their cup win over Fraserburgh
Inverurie Academy S1 side celebrate their cup win over Fraserburgh

Inverurie Academy’s youngest and oldest sides were in action last Friday evening in the Soccer World Cup Finals at Ellon.

Formerly known as “The Council Cup”, the S1 (U13) side faced a strong Fraserburgh team on a bright afternoon with a 4 30pm kick off.

The first half was a disappointing show by both teams as neither settled to play good football but as the game wore on the Broch side started to take control of the match but lacked composure in the final third until just a few minutes before half time when the grabbed a deserved lead from close distance.

With a very quick turnaround, Fraserburgh attempted to increase their lead as Inverurie tried to stave off a second. Somewhat against the run of play the Inverurie side were awarded a fairly soft penalty but Taylor CHAPMAN wasn’t concerned as he stroked the ball to the keepers left leaving him rooted to the spot to pull the sides level.

Three minutes later Inverurie added a second when an error in defence left Adam HARPER clear of the keeper and he calmly side footed the ball into the net from an acute angle.

The quick-fire goals transformed what had been a lacklustre performance into a torrent of attacks from the Garioch side and a third goal looked certain but the Fraserburgh keeper had two terrific saves to keep them in the match. With ten minutes remaining CHAPMAN looked to have got the decisive goal scoring in a crowded six yard box. Fraserburgh threw caution to the wind and surged forward at every opportunity and had several near misses before they pulled a goal back with three minutes remaining. Inverurie looked certain to hold on but in the final minute the north side were delighted to grab an equaliser in what was the last real play of the match.

Into ten minutes each way extra time and it was a revitalised Fraserburgh who took the lead in the game once more but a thunderbolt shot from the edge of the box by Bradley WILSON left the final score as 4-4 with a draw being just about right. With penalties to come, both sides took some excellent penalties but it was keeper Fraser Wiseman who turned out to be the hero, brilliantly diving to his left to turn the Fraserburgh’s final penalty round the post.