Ellon Amateurs edged out in brave cup battle

Ellon AFC went down 3-2 at home to Premier Division Kincorth in a Colin’s Tyres Association Trophy second round tie.

With Kincorth sitting in a false position in their league due to the lack of fixtures played it would have been easy to underestimate their ability. The home side certainly did not do that as the ever dangerous Thomson was prominent in the early stages.

A great run saw him pass two defenders but his shot went wide. Then his delivery from a free kick was controlled by Murray at the back post and his cross was just missed by Dempster as Ellon pushed for the opener.

It came in 13 minutes when the ball dropped kindly for Thomson to calmly slide home.

Ellon continued to dominate and looked dangerous on the break. A great move by Anderson and Thomson down the left flank saw McDonald block the winger’s effort.

From the corner Urquhart sent his header just over the far post.

But Kincorth were still in the game and a mistake by Hamilton provided Hutchins with a chance but he shot wide. The away side were now getting into their stride and Dickinson had to look lively to tip over from Carver and then Reid, who was beginning to look sharper as the game went on.

Aftre the break Ellon missed a couple of chances to double their advantage but weak efforts by Murray and Thomson saw the opportunities missed.

The home side were to regret this as Kincorth equalised after 16 minutes of the half. Hutchins challenged Dickinson for the ball in the air about a yard out and the ball dropped into the goal. All Ellon supporters and players alike waited for the referee to award a foul but instead he signalled that the goal stood.

After 22 minutes Ellon replaced the tiring Murray with Ingram. Ingram going up front and Urquhart dropping into his more familiar midfield berth.

Only a minute later and Ellon grabbed a well deserved lead when Anderson fired in a cross and Stewart handled. Anderson stepped up to take the penalty himself and left keeper Buchan flat footed as he fired home.

A long ball by Dickinson was nodded on by Urquhart to Dempster who hit a great dipping shot which was well saved by Buchan in the Kincorth goal.

With 15 minutes to go the visitors equalised when Reid turned Laird on the edge of the Ellon box and bore down on goal before crashing the ball high into the net.

Substitute Havlin for Kincorth was extremely lively when introduced and forced McShea into a mistake but Dickinson was on hand to save.

Another individual error led to Kincorth grabbing the lead with only a minute or so left. Dempster lost possession and Havlin ran in on goal and blasted the ball home.

There was time for one more Ellon effort as Anderson set off on a great run and his attempt from an acute angle was well saved by Buchan.