Ellon cruise to comfortable win

The Hall Russell defence is unable to prevent another Ellon goal.
The Hall Russell defence is unable to prevent another Ellon goal.

ELLON United bounced back from their poor showing against Fraserburgh United with a fine 4-1 away win at Hall Russell United on Saturday. The damage was done in the first half when Ellon raced into a four-goal lead.

It was probably only to be expected that they would ease off after the break and with no further goals from the visitors, Hall Russell were able to grab a cosolation goal midway through the second half.

Ellon settled early and took only six minutes to go in front when Mark Lawson met a free kick from Blair Johnston to send his header into the top right hand corner.

The visitors doubled their advantage eight minutes later when Ryan Stewart collected a square pass and worked his way forward before firing a shot into the same top corner.

Ellon might have been caught out from the restart with Hall Russell moving straight up the field, but Innes’ parting shot flew well wide.

Simpson kept his side in touch in the 18th minute following an incisive Ellon attack with Calum Annand moving up the right and firing over a low cross which was met by Paul Leahy only to see the ball instinctively blocked by the keeper.

Russells responded with former Ellon player/coach Ryan Petrie shooting over.

Ellon added to their lead in the 35th minute, finishing off another sweeping move when Scott Whelan found Annand whose cross was headed home by Paul Leahy.

The home defence was completely caught out just before half time when they failed to deal with a long kick from Callum Steer with Leahy latching on to the loose ball and round the keeper to slot home his second of the afternoon.

Ellon did not show the same penetration after the interval and it was Hall Russell who scored midway through the half when the ball broke out to Milne whose low shot found the bottom corner through a ruck of players.

The visitors then introduced Willie Mathers for Darren Bailey and almost went straight upfield to score. Annand fed Leahy whose cross was laid off by Mathers back into the path of Annand, but his shot was well blocked and spun away for a corner.

The home side were awarded a free kick on the edge of the Ellon box in the 76th minute. Innes’ shot cannoned off the wall and broke out wide to Shaw whose shot was turned behind by Steer. Four minutes later Ellon forced a corner with Callum Dunbar replacing Ryan Stewart before the set piece was taken. Steven Reid met Annand’s cross but his glancing header drifted wide. Ellon played out the remaining time comfortably to take home the points.

Ellon United: Steer, Millsom, Johnston, Tait, Reid, Lawson, Annand, Whelan, Stewart (Dunbar), Leahy, Bailey (Mathers), Lamberti, Johnson, Croll.

Hall Russell United: Simpson, Anderson, Russell, Rae, Godwin, Petrie, S Carroll, Innes, Milne, Shaw, Hay, Stuart, Mackie, Clunes, Clark, G Carroll.

The win puts Ellon level in the table with Hall Russell in sixth place, both with 12 points, but Ellon have the better goal difference. United have now won three, drawn three and lost three of their nine games. They face two tough games in the next two weeks, starting with a home match against Hermes on Saturday with a 1.30pm kick off.

Meanwhile, the winning numbers in United’s weekly Lucky Six Draw were 1,2,7,11,13 and 16.

With no one picking the full set, the jackpot for next week’s draw will be £1,000, with the selection 6 from 20.

The consolation prizewinner was C Singer.