Ellon edge Deveronside to progress to semi finals

A chance for Tremaine
A chance for Tremaine
Share this article



Ellon United progressed to the semi-final stage of the Grill League Cup when they edged past Deveronside 1-0 at The Meadows last weekend.

A really tight contest between two teams with contrasting styles could have gone either way as both sides passed up chances before Callum Tremaine struck in the 61st minute to make the vital breakthrough.

United will now meet Hermes at The Meadows on Saturday, September 20 after their 4-0 win over FC Stoneywood.

The other semi will be between Forres and Maud following their comfortable wins over Buchanhaven Hearts and East End.

United were unable to get off to the same flying start as in the earlier league meeting.

Deveronside tried to put pressure on the home defence from set pieces and long diagonal or through balls but were unable to take advantage whereas United tried to keep the ball on the deck and to make use of their pace but their efforts were equally unsuccessful in the final third.

Deveronside should have scored from a corner on the half hour mark.

A free header off the cross was well cleared off the line but fell direct to Smith only for the towering striker to send his close range effort well over the bar.

Three minutes later it was the visitors’ turn to have the ball cleared off goal line and away for a corner.

Eleven minutes into the second half, Deveronside keeper Mackie might have been punished for only managing to parry a low shot from Dev. Kennedy-Colbert but there was no United player following up to take advantage of the loose ball.

The ball was soon at the other end with the visitors forcing a corner which was well defended.

United made their first change with Scott McLeod replacing Neil Erskine.

McLeod fed Tremaine on the right and he made ground before cutting the ball back to Dev. Kennedy-Colbert whose shot was blocked.

Ellon took the lead when Tremaine moved on to McLeod’s through pass and outstripped his marker to fire the ball low past keeper Mackie.

Chris Allsop had the chance to put United two up from a corner only three minutes later but he mistimed his volley at the back post with the ball going harmlessly wide.

Deveronside broke quickly with Philip shooting narrowly wide of John Calder’s far post.

Ellon were awarded a free kick. Shaun Robertson’s inswinging cross was gathered by keeper Mackie and the ball sent immediately up the field. The equaliser looked certain only for Robertson to somehow get back and sweep the ball to safety. United stiffened up their midfield by replacing Kennedy-Colbert with Calum Annand.

The change almost had an immediate impact with Annand forcing his way forward and firing in a cross which was cleared for a corner.

United then added Chris Craib’s experience to put their midfield in place of Lewis Macaulay to see them successfully close out the final five minutes plus the considerable time for stoppages.

This was an excellent win for United against a strong Banff outfit who play to their strengths.

United face a run of cup ties now starting on Saturday when they visit Hall Russell United in the opening round of The GA Engineering Ltd Inter Regional Cup. The kick off at Lochside Park is at 2pm.

ELLON UNITED: Calder, Scully, Allsop, Thomson, Lawson, Millsom, Tremaine, Macaulay (Craib), Kennedy-Colbert (Annand), Erskine (McLeod), Robertson, Greig, Steer.

DEVERONSIDE: Mackie, Legge, G Murdo, K Thomson, Milne, McKinnon, Philip, McLeay, Clark, Smith, Strachan, R Thomson, Aitken, Bruce, Davidson, King.