Ellon fightback to win

Fraser Tait of Ellon sets up an attack as his side battle back against Hall Russell United.
Fraser Tait of Ellon sets up an attack as his side battle back against Hall Russell United.
Share this article

Ellon United’s second half performance saw them overturn a half-time deficit to take the points with a 3-2 win over Hall Russell United at The Meadows.

United made a good start and took the lead in the sixth minute when the Hall Russell keeper failed to deal with Niall Corser’s free kick. The home side went unpunished when a cross was vollyed back into the danger area with Mark Lawson clearing up at the back post. A Hall Russell corner in the 20th minute somehow flew low across the face of the Ellon goal, but again the visitors were unable to get a vital touch.

Russells kept up their spell of pressure without finding the target, shooting over then firing wide from promising positions. Ellon responded with a long ball which forced the Hall Russell keeper to run from his box but his headed clearance failed to find touch.

Niall Corser released Chris Craib on the half hour mark and his cross was met by Craig Morrison whose shot was blocked. The visitors equalised in the 36th minute. They broke quickly out wide and squared the ball into the box with innes meeting the cutback to level matters despite Ellon’s claims that the midfielder had run offisde. Ellon were caught out again four minutes before the interval when Shaw was on hand to turn home another low driven cross.

Ellon got back on level terms six minutes into the second half when Michael Ralton released Greg Simpson whose cross was fired home by Chris Craib. Russels came close from a corner three minutes later with a header which glanced off the outisde of the post.

The home side managed to defend a series of corners with the visitors pushing their big men forward and the ball was eventually cleared. Ellon made their first change in the 70th minute with Calum Annad replacing Greg Simpson who had suffered an earlier knock.

United regained the lead two minutes later. Neat build up work ended with Calum Annand finding Ross Forsuth who worked his way forward before knocking the ball low across and Chris Craib ran in to hit home his second goal of the afternoon. Ellon added fresh legs for the closing stages with Lenny Johnson replacing a tired Fraser Tait in the 85th minute and Duncan Chalmers replacing Craig Morrison.

United face three tough weeks starting with their first visit to Banks o’ Dee’s syththetic pitch next Saturday, kick off 2pm, followed by home games against Dyce then league leaders Hermes.