Ellon kick off with a win

Ellon's James Bain has an effort at goal again Feughside.
Ellon's James Bain has an effort at goal again Feughside.
Share this article

ELLON Amateurs opened up their league campaign with a 3-1 home win over newly promoted Feughside. The home side wrapped up the points without being at their best.

With several new faces in the squad after a successful search for players in the close season manager Booth must have been expecting a quick start especially after some good performances in pre-season friendlies.

But it was Feughside who set the early pace with Brand running the midfield and Mackie always dangerous down Ellon’s left.

After six minutes home nerves were calmed when a long ball by keeper Evans was flicked on by Hamilton to Bain who finished with some aplomb to start this season as he finished the last.

Ellon should have been two up as a great ball by Laird found Bain in space inside the box but he sent his effort well over> A great chance for the home side to double their advantage.

Trialist Watson’s pace was causing the away defence issues but nobody seemed to be on hand to finish off the wingers deliveries into the box.

Evans had to look lively as Shaw lost Brand in a dangerous area but the keeper came to the rescues with a great tip over. But from the resultant corner Mackie evaded his marker and headed home to level matters after 27 minutes.

Bain had yet another chance to grab the lead as a good free kick from Robertson with his cultured left foot allowed him to roll his defender but once more his finish did not match the build up.

Feughside were still battling and Mackie was always carrying a threat for the visitors and twice he broke clear of the home defence only for Evans to deny him on both occasions.

Just before the half Laird again denied Mackie with a great last ditch challenge as the striker bore down on goal.

Management duo of Booth and Anderson left the players in no doubt about their expectations for the second period and Ellon took the field with the proverbial flea in their ear.

And with their words still fresh in the players mind they set about the opposition in no uncertain manner.

But unfortunately great lead up play by Robertson, Dempster and Watson all resulted in chances for Bain but the striker was not firing on all cylinders and chance after chance went begging.

Beaton had a great chance to score but headed over for the visitors and soon after Ellon grabbed the lead as a Dempster corner was bundled home by Laird at the back post after 20 minutes of the half.

Manager Booth decided some fresh legs were required up front and Goodwin went on for Barrett to see if his pace would unsettle the visitors.

Mackie was still the most likely scorer for Feughside and again he had a great chance as Beaton broke away down the right and sent in a great cross which he met with his head but Evans clawed away his effort with a great one-handed stop.

McShea came on for the tiring Watson who had run himself to a standstill.

Goodwin was beginning to influence proceedings and a great run saw him leave two defenders for dead and fire in a fierce effort which was held by Christie.

It was Goodwin again who set himself up with a great chance after leaving the away defence in tatters but Bain took upon himself to take the finish on from an offside position instead of leaving the ball to the young striker.

Ellon eventually tied the game up with a minute to go when a long ball by Evans was touched on by Bain to Hamilton who ran into the box to finish.

A good opening result for Ellon but certainly not the performance level expected but in saying that if you can win when not at your best then that augurs well for the season. Man of the match: Ellon: Bruce Finnie; Feughside: Fraser Mackie

Ellon: Evans, Laird, Finnie, Hamilton, Wilson, Shaw, Watson. Dempster, Bain, Barrett, Robertson Subs : McShea, Sutherland, Taylor, Goodwin, Longmuir