Ellon no match for title chasers

CULTER proved too strong for Ellon United in their league match at Crombie Park on Saturday, with the home side continuing their march to the title with a 3-1 win.

Holidays and work commitments again reduced the United squad but with Ellon AFC having no fixture they were able to call on Fraser Thompson to help them out.

Culter opted to kick downhill in the first half, throwing the ball forward at every opportunity and a nervous start by United gave them the initiative as they kept the visitors’ defence under pressure.

With only two minutes gone, Greig cut inside his marker and released a shot which Callum Steer could only parry with the follow-up attempt deflected behind for a corner to set the early tone.

United found themslves behind seven minutes later. Ellon were unable to deal effectively with a speculative long ball and the headed clearance fell kindly to the deadly McAllister and he promptly put the home side ahead. With only 14 minutes gone United found themslves further adrift when Greig was left unmarked and his cutback allowed Taylor to find the unguarded goal.

Ellon were unable to produce any sustained pressure but came close to opening their account five minutes before half time. Paul Leahy moved forward from his central defensive role for a free kick and was only inches away from getting on the end of Scott Whelan’s cross, with the home defence caught out for once.

United could have found themselves further behind early in the second half with another nervy start. Leith managed to work his way to the byeline with United fortunate that Steer was able to smother the ball in the ensuing goalmouth scramble.

Ten minutes later United’s most promising move saw Ryan Stewart feed Lenny Johnson whose cross was met on the volley by Jordan Morrice, but his effort lacked the power to trouble keeper Duffy.

United’s miss proved costly when four minutes later they carelessly gifted Culter possession in midfield allowing them to break up the right. The low cross was half cleared but fell to Leith whose shot was well off target only for the ball to be deflected past Steer by subsititute McBain.

United made their first change with Callum Dunbar replacing Morrice in the 66th minute. The change paid off eight minutes later when Ellon were awarded a free kick and when keeper Duffy was unable to hold Blair Johnston’s high hanging cross, Callum Dunbar was on hand to turn the ball home.


Ellon United: Steer, Bremner, Johnston, Whelan, Leahy, Allsop, Stewart, Lamberty, Johnson (Thompson), Bailey, Morrice ( Dunbar), Millsom.

Culter: Duffy, Sim, Robertson, Reid, Kelly, McArthur, Greig, Shand, McAllister, Taylor, Leith, McBain, Wilson, Craik, McWilliam, Farquhar.

Ellon are at home to Stonehaven on Saturday in the semi-final of the Dominos Pizza North Regional Cup. Kick-off at the Meadows is 2pm.