Ellon progress to cup quarter-finals

Substitute Callum Tremaine put United through 4-2 in the penalty shoot-out.
Substitute Callum Tremaine put United through 4-2 in the penalty shoot-out.

A stoppage time equaliser from Dundee Violet saw Ellon United draw 3–3 in their GA Engineering Inter Regional Cup tie at Glenesk Park, before United won through to the last eight 4–2 in the penalty shoot-out.

United gave a debut to Michael Watson, the young midfielder having been loaned out from Formartine United on a temporary transfer. They also gave a first start to their former defender Matthew Bremner, who has returned to the club following a spell with Glentanar.

Violet dominated the early exchanges without testing Callum Steer in the United goal but they did pass up one particularly gilt-edged chance which fortunately was off target.

Ellon kept the home side out before serving notice with shots from Matty Bremner and then Andy Anderson which flew just over. Violet took the lead in the 27th minute when neat footwork on their left forced a corner with Urquhart meeting the cross to head home from close range at the near post.

The home side found the net soon after but this time the striker was clearly offside and the goal disallowed.

United took only three minutes to draw level. Lenny Johnson picked up the ball in midfield and worked his way forward before picking out Dev Kennedy-Colbert on the right then following up to fire home the striker’s cutback.

Ellon had another let-off in the 35th minute when the home side again failed to finish a great chance, sending the ball just wide to keep the tie all square at the interval.

United showed much more of a threat after the break but it was Violet who regained the lead in the 70th minute.

The initial shot through a ruck of players was parried by Steer only for Violet`s Urquhart to react quickest to touch home his second.

The home side’s advantage was short-lived with United drawing level within a couple of minutes. An Ellon corner was cleared only as far as Anderson who drilled the ball home.

Ellon made a change in the 79th minute with Callum Tremaine coming on for Michael Watson and taking a place up front with Anderson dropping back into the vacant midfield role.

Ellon got their noses in front for the first time in the 88th minute when the keeper’s punch under pressure from Chris Craib`s free kick fell to Johnson who steadied himself before finding the bottom corner.

The visitors looked to have things sewn up with the tie into the fourth minute of stoppage time and the ball at the home end, but Violet had other ideas.

They won the ball deep in their own half and play switched quickly to the other end. The momentum seemed to have been lost when the ball had to be cut back to Sanderson near the half-way line but the big number eight stepped forward to hammer it from all of 30 yards right into the postage stamp corner for a dramatic leveller and send the tie into penalties.

Violet opened the shoot out with Dev Kennedy-Colbert cancelling out the home side’s initial strike. Violet`s second spot kick crashed off the underside of the bar but stayed out with Johnson stepping forward to put United 2–1 ahead.

Anderson also converted to keep United 3–2 in front after the home side`s successful third penalty then with Steer saving Violet`s fourth penalty, Tremaine scored with his spot kick to put United through 4–2 on the shoot-out.

Ellon United: Steer, Bremner, Mathieson, Watson (Tremaine), Millsom, Tait, Johnson, Craib, Anderson, Kennedy-Colbert, Greig, Erskine, McLeod, Thomson.

United have a vital league game on Saturday with FC Stoneywood their guests at the Meadows. The match kicks off at 2pm.

Meanwhile, the winning numbers in United`s weekly Lucky Six Draw were 1,3, 4, 6, 14 and 16 and with no one picking the full set the jackpot for next week`s draw will be £1300 with the selection 6 from 17. The consolation prize winner was M Stewart.