Ellon return to winning form with cup success

Andy Anderson puts Ellon United in front against Deveronside.
Andy Anderson puts Ellon United in front against Deveronside.

Ellon United returned to winning ways on Saturday when they advanced to the third round of the GA Engineering Inter Regional Cup with a 2–1 win over Deveronside at The Meadows.

United went in two goals up at the interval but the visitors pulled a goal back in the 58th minute.

The Banff outfit looked to press forward at every opportunity in the last half hour with United seeking to catch the visitors on the break.

The tie finished on a sour note with former United defender Jamie McKinnon seeing red for two quick cautions late on before keeper McCaffrey was also red-carded in stoppage time.

Although Deveronside played to their physical strengths as usual, it was United’s more controlled approach which looked the likelier to pay dividends in the opening quarter.

Deveronside did break clear midway though the first half but were kept at bay by a fine save from Callum Steer.

Ellon broke straight up the field with Grant Thomson’s parting shot deflected for a corner.

United went ahead in the 32nd minute when Lenny Johnson`s clever chip picked out Andy Anderson who lobbed the ball neatly over the advancing keeper into the net.

Deveronside missed out on the chance to make their physical advantage tell when they met a 39th minute corner only to head wide.

Ellon forced a series of corners towards the end of the first half with Thomson getting on the end of Johnson’s final cross to head home at the back post just before the interval.

United passed up two early second-half opportunities before Deveronside came close with a shot which curled wide of the far post.

The visitors were awarded a free kick in the 57th minute which they launched into the United box. The initial ball was cleared but fell to Philip who drilled it home to open the visitors’ account.

Deveronside came close to an equaliser seven minutes later with a header from a corner which was cleared off the line.

The home team refused to be bullied by their physically stronger opponents who were throwing the ball into the danger area at every opportunity in search of a leveller, becoming more frustrated as the game wore on.

United made a change in the 78th minute with Callum Tremaine replacing Dev Kennedy–Colbert up front.

With time running out, Deveronside`s frustration came to a head with the two late red cards as United played out time to proceed to the third round, which is seeded so that the eight North Region teams all face a team from Tayside.


Ellon United: Steer, Annand, Craib, Thomson, Millsom, Robertson, Johnson, Tait, Kennedy–Colbert (Tremaine), Andy Anderson, McLeod, Grant Anderson, Sim.

Deveronside: McCaffrey, G Murdo, Strachan, Philip, Milne, McKinnon, Thompson, Thomson, Clark, Flett, Wojcik, McLeay, Smith, W Murdo, King.

United are on their travels on Saturday with a league visit to Inverness City. Anyone interested in travelling up in the bus should contact Billy Gordon on (07922662250).