Ellon’s share of the spoils at Stonehaven

Ellon United returned from Stonehaven with a share of the points following their 0-0 draw on Saturday.

A draw was probably a fair reflection on the match but it certainly should not have been a no-score result with both sides guilty of missing chances which might have sent the outcome either way.

Injuries, work, holidays, weddings and a suspension again left United short of numbers with Tony Buckley once again helping out in goal.

Stonehaven threatened first with Martin Shand shooting wide. United responded immediately but Lenny Johnson and Callum Tremaine unfortunately got in each other’s way as they went for an inviting cross from Lewis Macauley.

A defensive mix-up by the home side almost presented Ellon with the opener through an own goal but the attempted passback went just past for a corner with the goal unguarded.

A shot from Lewis Shand curled wide of the post, then the big midfield player met a free kick only to send his header well wide.

United had a penalty shout waived aside on the half hour mark. The home side broke straight upfield, winning a free kick which was deal with by the Ellon defence.

The tall Stonehaven defenders were proving a handful at set pieces. United managed to force the ball clear of the line following a free kick but the offside flag had gone up.

A minute later it took a fine fingertip save from Buckley to push a header from Taylor on to the bar and away.

Pyper shot wide for the home side before United passed up the chance to take a lead into the break when Scott Whelan’s run and cutback set up a chance for Tremaine whose close-range shot was somehow parried by keeper Capstick and cleared.

Ellon played down the slope in the second half and looked far more threatening. Mariusz Kwiatkowski met a free kick from Scott Whelan only to see his header slip past the post, then a diving header from Jordan Morrice from a Callum Annand cross flew wide.

Stonehaven hit back with Taylor pulling a shot wide, then substitute Armstrong shot well over. United made their only substitution in the 64th minute with Ryan Stewart returning from suspension to replace the injured Kwiatkowski. Three minutes later Armstrong was unable to take advantage of a good diagonal ball.

United came close in the 86th minute with Macauley’s header off another Annand cross tipped on to the bar and behind for a corner.

With the United defence holding firm over the closing stages, it was Ellon who threatened to break the stalemate with Stewart made room and turned his marker to fire in a cross which flew low across the face of the goal begging for a touch.

Ellon United: Buckley, Annand, Johnston, Whelan, Millsom, Reid, Johnson, Macauley, Kwiatkowski (Stewart), Johnson, Morrice.

Stonehaven: Capstick, Low, Mathiesion, Pyper, McCall, Anderson, Wilson, LShand, Taylor, M Shand, Workman, Robertson, Sulkevicius, Moorehouse, Goate, Armstrong.

United will travel to Deveronside in a re-arranged league fixture on Saturday. Kick-off is 2pm.