Ellon take their chances

Joy and despair as Ellon take the lead through an own goal against FC Stoneywood.
Joy and despair as Ellon take the lead through an own goal against FC Stoneywood.

Ellon United moved up to fourth place in the table with a 4-2 win over FC Stoneywood at the Meadows on Saturday.

United made the most of their chances in the first half to build up a 3-0 interval lead. Although Stoneyhwood pulled a goal back early in the second half, Ellon restored their three-goal cushion to clinch the three points.

Stoneywood had a let off in the sixth minute when Mariusz Kwiatkowski’s header from a free kick by Blair Johnston came back off the post and the ball was scrambled to safety.

The visitors responded with Tony Buckley, in goal for the day, getting down to save a shot from Simpson. United had to play with ten men for a spell while Jonathon Millsom received treatment.

Stoneywoood passed up a good chance when they failed to cash in on a short passback, with Paul Leahy coming to United’s rescue.

Ellon took the lead in the 26th minute when the unfortunate Taylor headed a dangerous Ryan Rozanski free kick past his own keeper under pressure Lenny Johnson.

Stoneywood wasted a free kick from a promising position four minutes from the interval when Campbell’s shot went harmlessly through to Buckley.

The visitors were punished on the stroke of half-time. Johnson’s through ball to Kwiatkowski saw the striker’s first shot come back off the post, but he followed up to grab his second.

Stoneywood snatched an early second-half opener in the 49th minute with Cromar’s well-flighted free kick curling into the postage stamp corner giving Buckley no chance.

However, Ellon restored their three-goal advantage in the 58th minute with a bullet header from Fraser Tait off Rozanski’s cross.

United made their first change in the 75th minute with Callum Tremaine replacing Kwiatkowski up front.

The visitors did net a second goal three minutes later when Brown pounced on a corner to force the ball home.

Jordan Morrice had a good chance to add to United’s tally when Millsom’s cross put him in the clear but his finish lacked composure and flew well over.

Callum Annand replaced Rozanski for the closing stages with United reduced to ten men late on when Blair Johnston received a second yellow card.

Ellon United: Buckley, Millsom, Johnston, Tair, Leahy, Reid, Rozanski (Annand), Craib, Kwiatkowski (Tremaine), Johnson, Morrice, Whelan, Bremner.

FC Stoneywood: Marwick, Goodbrand, Brown, Angus, Bain, Cromar, Taylor, Campbell, Stainer, Steveson, Simpson, Skinner, Ogston, Sinclair, Smith, Moir.

United are on their travels for the next two weeks, starting with a visit to Whitehills on Saturday in the first round of the Dominos Pizza North Regional Cup. Kick off is 2pm.