Ellon United cruise to cup victory over Broch

ELLON United eased into the second round of the Dominos Pizza North Regional Cup with a 2-0 win at Fraserburgh United on Saturday.

The home side had the strong wind at their backs in the first half but it was Ellon who dominated the opening period to take a 2-0 interval lead.

The visitors were unable to add to their tally with the wind advantage in the second period, but the Broch were unable to put any real pressure on the Ellon goal.

Ellon took the game to their hosts from the off and with 11 minutes gone Callum Dunbar met a cross from Blair Johnston following a quickly taken free kick, but his effort flew over.

Fraserburgh hit back two minutes later with Callum Steer forced into a save from a free kick by Tait.

The ball eventually broke out to the Broch defender, but this time he shot well over.

Ellon took the lead in the 15th minute when Scott Whelan worked a neat one-two to set up the opening for him to lob keeper Sinclair.

Ellon’s first half pressure paid off again in the 34th minute at the end of a sequence of narrow escapes for the Fraserburgh goal.

A Ryan Stewart effort came back off the bar but fell to Calum Annand, only for his shot to rebound off the far post with Callum Dunbar finally collecting the loose ball to add a second.

The visitors had to make a change at half-time with Eddie McNellis replacing the injured Paul Leahy.

They almost added to their lead five minutes into the second half when Scott Whelan met a cutback from Calum Annand only to see his shot go behind off the foot of the post.

Ellon were forced into another change in the 55th minute with Lenny Johnson replacing Ryan Stewart.

A minute later a fine run and cross from Willie Mathers picked out Lenny Johnson who was denied by a fine stop from keeper Sinclair, who managed to turn the ball behind for a corner..

Another great cross from Willie Mathers came to nothing when no one managed to get a touch as the ball flashed across the face of the goal.

Ellon survived a rare scary moment in the 71st minute when a Fraserburgh free kick deflected off the defensive wall for a corner which was scrambled clear by the visitors’ defence.

Ellon had to make a final change for the closing quaret of an hour when Lenny Johnson retired hurt to be replaced by Chris Allsop, who slotted in at the back with Blair Johnston and Willie Mathers moving forward.

The visitors comfortably played out the remaining time to book their second round place.

Ellon United: Steer, Bremner, Johnston, Leahy (McNellis), Reid, Lawson, Annand, Whelan, Stewart (Johnson, Allsop), Dunbar, Mathers, Millson, Goate.

Fraserburgh United: Sinclair, Downie, Hay, Tait, Forbes, Ross, Rollo, Ritchie, Taylor, Watt, Lawrence, McLenan, Innes, Reid, Cowie, Gibb.

Ellon’s progress proved relatively comfortable but could prove costly with the loss of three players on the day.

United return to league business on Saturday with a home match against Lewis United.

Kick off is at 2pm.

The winning numbers in United’s weekly Lucky Six Draw were 1, 2, 4, 6, 14 and 16.

With no one picking the full set the jackpot for next week will be £1,100, with the selection 6 from 18. The consolation prizewinners were R Strathdee and L Allan.