Ellon United end home programme with a win

Callum Dunbar causes problems for Dyce.
Callum Dunbar causes problems for Dyce.

Ellon United collected another three points with a narrow 1-0 win over Dyce in their final home game of the season on Saturday.

United’s extensive injury list remains a problem. Paul Leahy returned to take a place on the bench and Steve Gunn, whose work commitments have made him unavailable all season, was also able to help out.

The match turned out to be the usual tight contest between the two sides. The visitors dominated the first half possession and although Callum Steer in the United goal saw plenty of the ball, he was never troubled and the game turned round all square.

The match carried on in the same vein with Dyce having a lot of the ball but not able to penetrate the home defence. Ellon made their first change in the 62nd minute with Paul Leahy replacing Jordan Morrice in midfield and it was the home side who came close to opening the sc oring in the 74th minute when Leahy’s effort bounced off the top of the bar and away to 

United made their second change a minute later with Gunn replacing Chris Allsop who had been an injury doubt at the start.

United rearranged their defensive set up with Jonathon Millsom moving across to the left and Matty Bremner stepping back from midfield to take over on the right with Gunn in a midfield role.

Dyce’s best chance fell to Steel who headed wide from a Thomson cross. Ellon made the breakthrough in the 85th minute following a controversial free kick won by the home side. Calum Annand’s cross was cleared but fell to Dunbar with United’s leading scorer’s low shot finding the bottom corner.

Ellon United: Steer, Millsom, Allsop (Gunn), Bremner, Reid, Lawson, Annand, Morrice (Leahy), Dunbar, Johnson, Bailey, Lamberty.

Dyce: Buchanan, Thomson, Ralton, Clark, Douglas, Reid, Coyle, Dick, Steel, Neish, McNamee, Russell, Murray, Burr.

Ellon have two away games remaining. They travel to face Maud on Tuesday, May21 with a 7.15pm kick-off. Their final game against FC Stoneywood has still to be