Ellon United’s comeback is shortlived

Scott Whelan celebrates scoring for Ellon
Scott Whelan celebrates scoring for Ellon

Ellon United’s GA Engineering Cup tie against Maud at The Meadows last weekend proved to be tight as usual between these two teams with each side having spells on top but neither able to dominate.

The tie ended all square at 1-1 after the 90 minutes with Maud progressing 5-4 in the penalty shoot out.

Steven Morris took over in goal in goal for United and with three central defenders out injured and Jonathon Millsom forced to withdraw during the warm up it was a completely new United defensive line up which faced Maud with Grant Thomson moving to the right hand side, Paul Leahy and Blair Johnson forming the central pairing and Chris Craib taking over on the left hand side.

The visitors looked lively early on and were physically stronger in the opening stages but United were able to contain them with Maud unable to produce any end product. The visitors were unable to really threaten the home goal until the 18th minute but Steven Morris was equal to Hale’s low shot. United worked their way forward in the 25th minute finding Chris Craib in an advanced position but his shot was wide. Three minutes later Lewis McCauley picked out Jordan Morrice on the left and he skipped past his marker to send over a cross which was met by Lewis McCauley following up only to see his header turned behind trough a fine save from keeper Barbour.

With both sides probing for the opener, United attacked up their right with Calum Annand’s low cross met by Jordan Morrice but his first time shot was well off target. Ellon were caught out in the 43rd minute when a good cross from the left was punched clear by Steven Morris but only fell to Maud’s player Nanager, Alan Hale, and he made no mistake to send the visitors into the interval with a 1-0 lead.

United were unable to cash in on early spells of second half pressure but were rewarded in the 61st minute when Ryan Stewart collected a cross from Grant Thomson and laid the ball back into the path of Scott Whelan who drilled home the equalizer. Ellon made their first change in the 68th minute with Lenny Johnson replacing Neil Erskine and then in the 75th minute Callum Tremaine replaced Ryan Stewart giving the Maud defence a new style off opposition. Four minutes later it took a fine block by Barbour at his near post to keep out Jordan Morrice with the ball turned behind for a corner. United’s pressure was relieved when Calum Annand moved on to a loose ball with his shot flying well over. United made their last chance in the 85th minute with Fraser Tait coming into the midfield to replace the injured Lewis McCauley but with neither side able to force the decider over the closing stages the tie moved into the penalty decider.

United’s Scott Whelan unfortunately struck their second spot kick just wide of Barbour’s right hand post and with the Maud players all scoring impressively with their efforts the visitors moved into the 3rd round draw 5-4 on the shoot out.

ELLON UNITED: Morris, Thomson, Craib, Whelan, Leahy, Johnston, Annand, McCauley (Tait), Erskine (Johnson), Stewart (Tremaine), Morrice.

MAUD: Graham, Hall, Simpson, S.Robertson, Rae, Ritchie, Hale, S.Bremner, Duguid, Chalmers, Bain, A.Bremner, Alexander, J.Robertson, Hodge.

United are at home again this Saturday with Hall Russell United their visitors to The Meadows on league business. Kick off is at 2pm.