Ellon United secure spot in semi-final with convincing win

editorial image

Ellon United booked a semi-final place in the AM Property Maintenance Morrison Cup by beating Lewis United 4-0 at The Meadows to finish top of their qualifying section.

Ellon took a deserved 2-0 lead at the interval, but the second half was marred by the visitors’ lack of discipline with three of their players being shown a red card.

Ellon pressed forward from the start but were unable to make their possession really tell.

Ellon finally made the break through in the 33rd minute when defender Ross Gibbon took off down the right and beat his marker before sending a pile driver beyond the helpless Poupard in the Lewis goal.

The home side made it 2 – 0 seven minutes later when Dean McDonald and Kevin Anderson combined to set up Callum Tremaine to score from close in.

Ellon passed up the chance to add to their lead through a penalty only seven minutes into the second half but Poupard made a comfortable save from Dean McDonald’s spot kick.

Chaos broke out ten minutes later and keeper Poupard was red-carded following a melee although it was actually Lewis who were eventually awarded a free kick.

Lewis found themselves in deeper trouble only four minutes later when Chalmers was also given his marching orders following a dangerous high challenge on Neill Irvine with Ellon making their first change by introducing Jack Sim for the injured midfielder.

The home side made a second change three minutes later with James Bain coming on up front for Callum Tremaine. Some of the Lewis players failed miserably to heed their lesson with Cronin becoming their third player to see red.

Ellon went three up in the 77th minute when Ross Gibbon`s through ball caught out the makeshift Lewis defence and James Bain nipped in to lob home.

Ellon wrapped up the scoring in the 88th minute from another penalty which was drilled home by Stuart Massie. Kevin Anderson came close to adding a fifth but his shot came back off the post.