Ellon United trounce Sunnybank

Ellon United 5 - 2 Sunnybank

Monday, 8th August 2011, 3:20 pm

Ellon United’s opening game of the new season last weekend saw them face a much changed Sunnybank side at The Meadows in their qualifying Grill League Cup section.

United, who after a slow start emerged as 5 - 2 winners, secured an invaluable three points to keep them in the hunt for a qualifying spot on the four point mark. Crucially, they remain in touch in touch with Lewis United, the current section leaders on six points, who secured a fine win over Dyce at the weekend.

After kick-off, United were too slow out of the blocks, and their lethargic start to the game allowed their visitors the chance to settle.

Ellon paid the price for this in the eighth minute when a simple move instigated by the experienced Somers saw Sunnybank cut the home side open. It all happened far too comfortably, with the ever-dangerous Jack able to apply the finishing touch.

It took until the 20th minute for United to draw level, with Lewis Forbes converting Keith Walker’s cross.

Ellon then took the lead five minutes later through Greg Simpson, who was set up by a fine cross from Blair Johnston.

Sunnybank then found themselves further adrift within a minute when keeper Thouless was caught out by Keith Walker’s first time effort.

Sunnybank did manage to pull a goal back on the half hour mark. United’s Mark Lawson looked to have been penalised rather harshly for a challenge on the edge of the United box, with several of the United players complaining that the free kick should have been given in their favour. After the dust had settled and United’s Mark Lawson and Jamie McKinnon were included in the yellow cards handed out, Barry Somers placed his free kick in at the near post. Ross Forsyth became the 3rd United player caution in the incident.

The game setled down for the rest of the half, with United taking their one-goal advantage into the interval.

Steve Gunn replaced Jamie McKinnon ten minutes after the break. A minute later, Ross Forsyth slipped the ball through to Lewis Forbes, whose effort went wide. However, the United striker was not to be denied what two minutes later was to be the goal of the match.

A quick Ellon break down the right ended with Keith Walker cutting the ball inside to Greg Simpson, who slipped past his marker before finding Lewis Forbes, whose volley flew home. United then added their fifth on the hour mark when Chris Craib’s shot eluded the keeper to nestle in the far corner.

United made some further changes as the match progressed, with Duncan Chalmers replacing Greg Simpson and Tommy Willox coming on for Chris Craib. However, the home side were unable to add to their tally.

Following their home game against Bridge of Don Thistle on Tuesday Night, United travel to the Aberdeen Sports VIllage next Saturday to meet Lewis United in their final qualifying Grill League Cup matches. Kick off is at 2.30pm.


Ellon United: Buchanan, Annand, Johnston, Corser, McKinnon, Lawson, Simpson, Forsyth, FOrbes, Walker, Craib, Chalmers, Willox, Gunn, McTavish, Johnson, McKeitch, Irvine, Morrison.

Sunnybank: Thouless, Sturton, Lynch, Christie, Smith, Somers, Duff, Low, Jack, Whyte, Gally, Easton, R Kemp, C Kemp, Grieve.