Ellon United win derby in emphatic style with 5-0 win at Colony Park

Ellon United travelled to Inverurie last weekend and returned with full points courtesy of their 5-0 win over Colony Park.

Tuesday, 20th March 2018, 1:39 pm
Updated Tuesday, 20th March 2018, 1:43 pm

The pitch was fine but the overhead conditions were horrible on a bitterly cold day with a biting wind making life difficult for the players.

The home side opened strongly forcing United on to the back foot mainly and it took some resolute defensive work by United including a couple of goal line clearances to keep Colony Park out.

Having come through their shaky opening spell United began to make far more effective use of the ball and their superior individual skills and pace began to tell.

Ellon came close midway through the half when Neil Irvine met Stuart Massie’s corner only to see his header deflected for a corner but United did not have long to wait and went ahead four minutes later when Callum Tremaine’s ball ran kindly to Stuart Massie to run in and slot home.

United doubled their advantage in the 31st minute when another fine run from Kevin Anderson left the home side stranded and he burst forward before cutting the ball back into the path of Fraser Gill to slide the ball into the empty net.

Ellon almost increased their lead three minutes later when Stuart Massie met Ross Gibbon`s free kick but his effort went just wide.

United’s third was not long in coming and in the 37th minute the ball broke to Dean McDonald to give Ellon a 3-0 lead at the interval.

Colony’s task was made even harder seven minutes into the second half when Callum Tremaine released Fraser Gill to fire home his second.

A rare slip by the United defense let the home side through on goal but Morgan Cook came to the rescue with an excellent block.

Colony were seeing a lot of the ball but lacked penetration and United’s defense and midfield were able to keep them in check.

Ellon made a double change to freshen things up midway through the half with James Bain and Scott Firth replacing Callum Tremaine and Dean McDonald and slotting in comfortably to their rolls.

United went nap in the 75th minute when James Bain reacted quickly to finish off a cross from Jack Goodwin.

The home side never looked like getting any foothold on the game but did pass up a glorious chance to snatch a consolation goal two minutes from time when substitute Clark blasted the ball over from a great position.

This was another excellent display from United under very trying conditions and although the final scoreline may not reflect the possession stakes, the five goal margin serves testament of the effectiveness of Ellon’s performance.

Following on from their fine run of recent results United face a really big challenge next Saturday when champions elect Banks O’ Dee visit The Meadows. The match kicks off at 2:00pm.