Final hurdle too much as favourites defeat Colony Locos

Grant Dawson gets his second to give Colony Locos some hope of a recovery
Grant Dawson gets his second to give Colony Locos some hope of a recovery

Colony Locos 19s Scottish Cup Final against favourites Barrhead went to form as the central belt side proved too strong for the Inverurie side, coming out on top 5-2.

Colony were pinned back in the opening stages and had to defend in numbers but just as the game settled into a pattern of attack and counter-attack McLAUGHLIN struck a curling left foot free kick high into Garrow’s right hand corner, the ball brushing his fingertips on the way in.

Colony were not deterred by the early set back and three minutes later Keiran Lawrence broke into the box from the left only to see his shot palmed to safety as the Barrhead defence scrambled the ball clear.

Daniel Crisp then saw his downward header lose too much momentum and was an easy take for the Barrhead keeper who almost cost his side the lead minutes later as he fumbled a Philip Woodgreave header but he managed to catch the ball before it crossed the line.

Colony were to regret those missed opportunities falling two behind in the 25th minute when Lucas Kennedy came off worst in an aerial challenge which saw the full back floored and clutching his ankle, there was some hesitancy in the defence perhaps looking for a foul as the full back looked in distress in the six yard box but the referee allowed play to continue and Mc Gaughey laid the ball back to ASHE who side footed into the net past the out stretched leg of Woodgreaves.

Colony could have folded at that point but they rolled up their sleeves and took the game to Barrhead. A great move from defence to attack started by Lucas Kennedy saw Crisp lay off to Duguid who played a clever flick into the path of DAWSON who drove into the box and drilled home a low shot to the delight of the travelling support.

Almost immediately the Colony found themselves two behind again. A well worked short corner saw the ball laid back to the 18-yard line where a ferocious ETHERSON drive hit the back of the net restoring the West sides lead.

Both sides created few more chances but the first half ended 3-1. Colony were out early for the second half but it was Barrhead who started the quicker scoring in the second minute when BRADLEY found space in the box and gave Barrhead what looked an unassailable lead.

The Inverurie side were given a little bit of hope in the 57th minute when a Kennedy free kick was glanced in at the near post by DAWSON to reduce the margin. Greg Wood and Craig Turriff replaced Alex Duguid and Joe Burr in the hope that the fresh legs might help the momentum but it didn’t seem to affect the game which continued to see both sides attack and be prepared to leave gaps at the back and it was Barrhead who profited from the end to end game as PLANAS had time to round keeper Garrow and kill off the match with a fifth goal.

A third Scottish Cup Final defeat for Colony since the club was formed in 1978 but the players could be proud of their efforts against an excellent Barrhead side.

Colony Locos: Jordan Garrow; Lukas Kennedy; Euan Abel; Phillip Woodgreaves; Grant Dawson; Joe Burr; Daniel Crisp; Alex Duguid; Michael Watson; Dean Henderson; Kieran Lawrence

Subs: Greg Wood; Craig Turriff; Mitchell Reid; Scott Abel; Matthew Battensby