Fine win for Cruden Bay over Fochabers

Share this article

It was league business again on Saturday when Cruden Bay entertained Fochabers in a PMAC Division Two game on a very heavy pitch, but managed to secure the points with a fine 4-1 win.

Wisely tried to set up an early attack for the Bay but his through ball found no Bay player. Then Fairweather, for the visitors, tried a shot which was far too high. In the opening ten minutes the visitors had the edge in possession. However, Buchan made a run on the left and put in a telling pass, which, unfortunately for the Bay again found no one.

Evans, in the home goal, did well to save from Harrison at the second attempt as the visitor’s advanced on goal. The home keeper was again in action as he parried away shot from Henderson as he broke into the box.

A Mair free kick from midway in the visitor’s half was headed onto Tocher by Walker; however, the Bay man could not control the ball and take advantage of the situation. A Walker shot was parried away by Flynn, the ball being cleared by the Fochabers’ defence. A Ramsay run on the left ended with a cross which Cameron could only put over the bar from eight yards. Cameron then put in a long ball to Ramsay, who put his effort over as he advanced on goal.

Despite these attacking moves the Bay were not really getting their passing game together on the heavy pitch. However, a cross from Wisely on the right was dropped by keeper Flynn as the latter collided with Leslie; the visitors’ managed to clear the danger.

In the last ten minutes of the half the Bay then began to exert pressure on the Fochabers defence. A Wisely cross from the right was headed goalwards by Walker, but Flynn managed to tip the ball round the post. Walker was then unlucky when his shot rebounded of the bar; Tocher tried to capitilise on the rebound but was unable to get full control off the ball and the opportunity was lost.

In a Fochabers attack MacInnon tried a long range shot from the edge of the box but the effort was well w de and then Sime made a timely tackle on Harrison as he bore down on goal and the ball went tamely through to Evans. In another Fochabers attack fair-weather put in a shot which was comfortably saved by Evans.

Walker received the ball in the box and tried to dribble his way goalwards but his final shot was deflected for a corner. The Bay eventually went ahead after thirty seven minutes when Mair slotted the ball home from a Ramsay corner. The bay went two up a minute later when Ramsay put in a cross from the left , which Cameron headed brilliantly into the net from ten yards out.

Cameron then had another chance from a Wisely cross, but the Bay striker could not direct his header goalwards. It was all the Bay now as the half came to an end;; Cameron having another attempt on goal which went over as MacInnon put in a challenge.

A long ball from Mair in the opening minutes found Tocher but Flynn managed to parry his effort away. Walker then set up Ramsay who ran on into the visitors’ box and put in shot which was saved by Flynn. Then a free kick from Mair was deflected over the bar by Sime. On the hour mark the Bay increased their lead; walker was held in the box by Mitchell and referee Peers gave a penalty. Walker made no mistake with his spot kick, hammering the ball past Flynn.

The Bay were in full flight now. Cameron put in a cross to Ramsay whose shot was then deflected for a corner. The Bay went further ahead after seventy minutes when Cameron headed down a corner to Findlay who slotted the ball home.

The bay were causing the visitors problems in defence. Mair then put in crossfield pass to Ramsay who ran in to goal; however Flynn was able to come off his line and block the Bay midfielder’s effort. Inglis then did well to evade several tackles and put in cross which was eventually cleared by the Fochabers’ defence.

In a Fochabers’ attack McRae caused a little concern in the Bay defence as he broke into the box but the ball was eventually cleared at the expense of a corner.

Ramsay again broke on the left but was unable to find a bay player.

In another sporadic Fochabers’ attack Henderson found room in midfield and ran onto to put in a shot from twenty yards which eventually went well wide. The visitors’, however, pulled a goal back after eighty four minutes; Sime fouled Fairweather in the box and the Fochabers’ striker scored from the rebound after Evans had parried his initial spot kick.

The visitors’ did put in a couple of late attacks;; in one Harrison put in a cross from the left which was deflected to McRae whose shot went well over and then Stuart broke clear of the Bay defence but Evans was on hand to easily save his shot.

Cruden Bay: Evans, Buchan, Wisely, Glendinning, Sime, Mair, Park, ramsay, Tocher, Walker, Cameron. Subs: Inglis, Reid, Findlay, Sangster, McKessick.