Formartine bounce back with a 4-1 victory

Michael Ewen  of Formartine United.
Michael Ewen of Formartine United.

This far from scintillating performance was enough to elevate Formartine to top position in the league, three points ahead of Brora who have a game in hand and currently, an identical goal difference.

The game in hand situation is likely to be remedied next week when Formartine contest the final of the Aberdeenshire cup and Brora resume their league campaign.

The match was a scrappy affair marred by punctilious refereeing that saw ten yellow cards without a foul of note, as perceived from the stand, having been committed.

Formartine made the most impressive start with a goal after 90 seconds of play. Following a corner on the left the ball was played short to Hamill who wrong footed Michael Clark before clipping the ball to the feet of the unmarked CAMPBELL lurking midway between penalty spot and the front edge of the box. The big centre back hit the ball hard, low and with precision past his opposite number, McKenzie and into the net close to Bowman’s left upright. This should have been enough to settle the North Lodge squad but what emerged was a stuttering, disjointed error strewn match where both sides’ midfields struggled to supply consistent service to their forwards.

With two minutes remaining until the interval Formartine forced a corner on the right. This was taken by Hamill who delivered the ball to the penalty spot where Keith rose above the defence to head the ball downward. The quicksilver EWEN reacted fast and forced the ball over the line to put Formartine firmly in charge.

Huntly clawed their way back into some sort of contention at 2-1. In the 60th minute Kleczkowski broke through the centre and got into an area behind the Formartine centre backs. As Shearer moved in on him to close down the angle, the striker flipped the ball to his right and into the path of NOWACKI who, faced with a virtually unguarded net, drove the ball home from about fifteen yards out.

Mike Ewen was, despite intermittent supply, causing problems in the Huntly rearguard. He had more pace and tricks than they could individually or collectively contain and it wasn’t long before he restored the Formartine two goal cushion. Just after Shearer demonstrated his acrobatic capacity by touching a McKenzie header from a Nowacki cross to safety, Ewen struck again. The ball was worked down the right by Bagshaw and Clark and chipped over the top to EWEN who dealt with the advancing keeper by very neatly clipping the ball over him and into the net at the far post.

Formartine were in complete charge by this point and Huntly resistance crumbled quite noticeably. With Napier on for Park and running at pace at tired legs Formartine managed to keep their opponents under the cosh. In the circumstances Cammy Keith was more or less on odds on to score. The only real shock was that it took him until the 80th minute to do it. It was a typical effort where he made space for himself at the edge of the box before controlling the ball and turning in one movement before lashing it beyond the reach of the keeper. Huntly: Bowman, Campbell, Thoirs, Hart, McKenzie, Clark, Kovacevic, Davidson, Kleczkowski, Booth, Nowacki. Subs: Guild, Dorrit, Madle, McCarthy, Barney.

Formartine United: Shearer, Munro, S.Smith, McKeown, Campbell, Clark,Park, McVitie, Keith, Ewen, Hamill. Subs: Napier, Bagshaw, Jefffrey, M. Smith, Calder.