Formartine dump Broch to set up Aberdeen cup clash

Share this article

Fraserburgh 1 - 2 Formartine United

Formartine United have dumped Fraserburgh out of the Aberdeenshire Cup at the first hurdle with an impressive 2-1 victory at Bellslea Park, earning a chance to go head to head with Aberdeen in the second round.

Former Peterhead captain Bobby Mann netted the winner from the penalty spot with fifteen minutes remaining in an open game which could have gone either way. However, it is the North Lodge Park side which will go through, setting up the prospect of Manager Steve Paterson facing one of his former clubs.

It was the visitors who made the breakthrough with the first real chance of the game. A high-flighted free-kick was flicked on by Mark Smith which found its way onto Stuart McKay, who lost his marker and steered a low drive just inside the far post.

However, the scores were level on 20 minutes after a fine intersection of play, Johnny Chalmers used his great vision to pick out Main on the left. His cross to the back post found William West, who’s airborne scissor kick was spectacularly kept out by Ross Bremner, but West made no mistake with the second attempt when it eventually fell to him, slotting high into the roof of the net.

Andrew Bagshaw was a whisker away from putting United back in front with a ‘standing jump’ header which just flashed by the post after managing to squeeze in between two Broch defenders.

An encouraging move from Fraserburgh - who looked settled with the attractive passing game which new boss Kris Hunter has incorporated - lead to an opportunity just on the stroke of half-time. Main jinked by his man and hammered a shot at Bremner which came back out to Allan Hale but was flagged offside, which left the teams level at the break.

The game appeared to fizzle out for prolonged periods in the second half with the tie finely balanced and neither side was really able to get to grips with proceedings at any point. Marc Dickson came closest in the opening stages of the second period, although his effort dazzled over after leaning back a great deal whilst preparing to shoot.

The breakthrough came with just quarter of an hour left on the clock when Formartine netted what turned out to be the deciding goal via the penalty spot. Bagshaw was upended whilst turning his marker just inside the area after McKay’s clever dummy pass. Bobby Mann - who was given a predictably ‘warm’ reception by the home crowd considering his previous allegiances - slotted the ball into the bottom corner sending Paul Leask the wrong direction.

The best chance for the Broch to equalise for the second time in the game undoubtedly fell to Jonathan Garden, a testing cross from Hale found the substitute who looked odds-on to head the ball past Bremner. However, the 19-year-old did not make a clean connection, and United held on to secure their first Cup win over a HFL Club since joining the League, thus condemning Kris Hunter to his first defeat as a Broch manager.


Fraserburgh: Leask, Main, McBride, Bryan Hay, Elrick, Hale, West, Chalmers (Garden 64), Dickson, Morrice, Conway (Noble 64). Unused Subs: Barbour, Neil Hay, Cooper.

Formartine United: Bremner, Knight (Davidson 83), Stuart Smith, Mann, Campbell, McVitie, Bagshaw, Mark Smith, McKay, Robertson, Stephen (Coyle 86). Unused Subs: Soutar, Bailey, Notman.

Referee - Craig Sim