Formartine pay the penalty

Michaerl Ewen's two goals were not enough for Formartine United in the final of the Aberdeenshire Cup.
Michaerl Ewen's two goals were not enough for Formartine United in the final of the Aberdeenshire Cup.

FORMARTINE were left shell-shocked after blowing a two-goal lead and losing to Fraserburgh in a penalty shootout in the final of the Evening Express Aberdeenshire Cup. It was 2-2 after extra-time at Victoria Park, Buckie, and the Broch went on to lift the trophy 3-1 on penalties. The defeat marked not only the end of the fine cup run that yielded United’s first cup final at this level, but also of their 13-game unbeaten run stretching back to May last season. Formartine, backed by a large and vocal North Lodge support, started well. In the sixth minute the Mike Ewen saw centre back Hay casually rolling the ball back to keeper Leask and he nipped in to drag it round the keeper before walking the ball into the net.

United maintained pressure and should have extended their lead before ten minutes were up. A period of sustained pressure yielded a number of corners one of which was cleared only as far as Soane who headed to McVittie who hammered the ball into the side netting.

Formartine remained well on top for the duration of the first half but as time went on it became clear that unless they were to increase their lead Fraserburgh would be happy enough to take the advantage of the now rising wind in return for single goal deficit at the interval. United started the second half strongly and increased their lead in the 55th minute. “Squish” Munro broke through from the centre circle, resisted a late tackle by Hay and powered on to release the ball to Ewen who made a blistering run into the box to hammer it home.

Broch immediately brought on Conway for Davidson and within seconds had pulled one back as the substitute, with his first touch of the ball, poked home a diagonal pass from Johnston at the back post.

wen should have made the match ball his personal property in the 76th minute when he got in one-on-one with Leask through the inside right channel, but he was dispossessed by the keeper.

With six minutes of scheduled time left wind advantage paid off for Fraserburgh when Johnston picked the ball up wide left and from twenty five yards hammered it goalwards. In normal conditions the ball would have gone wide of the back post but with the wind, it curled into the top corner of the net.

Broch retained wind advantage for the first period of extra time and the pattern of Formartine laboriously working the ball forward only for it to be thumped back into their area continued.

Main was given a straight red for a tackle on Soane but his colleagues were able to run down the clock until the start of the penalty lottery.

Soane took Formartine’s first and scored. None of the three colleagues who followed him could match his effort. Broch scored every time and ran out 3-1 winners.

Teams: Formartine United: Shearer, Jeffrey, S.Smith, McKeown, M.Smith, Soane, Munro, McVitie, Park, Ewen, Webster. Subs. Davidson, Bagshaw, McGinlay,Dingwall, McCaffrey.

Fraserburgh: Leask, Dickson, Fowlie, Christie,West, Johnston, Barbour, S.Main, Hay, N.Main, Davidson. Subs:Conway, M.Cowie, Willox, R,Cowie, Chalmers.