Forres knock Colony Juniors out of cup

editorial image

Colony Park lost their final match of the Grill League Cup to Forres Thistle by 2-1, who progress to the quarter finals.

Basically the game turned when Colony Park Juniors went down to ten men in the second half at a time when Colony were leading 1-0. Forres took advantage of their numerical superiority to push for the win in the latter stages of the match.

Colony started the match well and Maitland had the ball in the net after seven minutes only for the assistant referee to rule him offside. The home team continued to press with Maitland and Morrison

having further chances.

In 13 minutes Forres Thistle were awarded a fairly soft penalty but the resulting spot kick sailed high over the bar to keep the teams on level terms . A couple of minutes later Sim brought off an excellent save to prevent Forres taking the lead.

In 36 minutes Colony Park took the lead when Ross and Maitland combined well with MAITLAND sending his angled shot into the corner of the net to put the home side deservedly ahead.

In 43 minutes Bremner brought a great save from the Forres keeper when his shot from distance was turned over the bar for a Colony corner. This was the final action before the interval with Colony Park leading by one goal to nil.

Colony Park almost increased their lead immediately after the restart. The ball broke to Maitland in the visitors penalty area but his shot cleared the bar. A couple of minutes later Morrison had a header saved from close range. In 52 minutes a Ross cross almost went into the Forres net.

Forres were now coming more into the match and had a couple of chances before Turriff handled a goal bound shot on the line. Despite some protests for an offside decision and the referee consulting

with his assistant the resultant decision saw Turriff receiving a red card and Forres being awarded a penalty. This time they made no mistake and levelled the match at one all in 59 minutes.

Despite going down to ten men Colony Park almost took the lead a minute later when Ross had a diving header from close range which the Forres keeper turned round the post for a corner.

In 63 Minutes Forres took the lead when their spare man was left one on one with Sim. His initial shot was saved but the rebound was placed in the net before the keeper could get back to his feet . Colony continued to press for an equaliser and Dorrat had a shot just past the post in time added. However there were no further goals and Forres Thistle ran out winners.

Colony Park: Sim, Douglas, Turriff, Crosbie, Mess, Morrison, Bremner, Bonarius, A Maitland, Ross, Roddie

Subs: Davidson, Dorrat, Leslie, Beverly, McDonald

Back to the PMAC Group Division 1 (EAST) for the next Match against Bridge of Don Thistle at Colony Park on Saturday, August 23. Kick off is 2pm.