Hard graft earns Ellon the points

Share this article

ELLON United picked up three precious points with a hard earned 2-1 victory over Lewis United at the Sports Village on Saturday, courtesy of two goals from Callum Dunbar.

Two great saves from Lewis keeper Sam Stewart kept Ellon’s lead to 1-0 at the interval. The home side fought back to equalise in the 83rd minute, but Ellon struck back to claim the win.

A long throw from Lewis full back Valentine put the Ellon defence under threat in the seventh minute, but Callum Steer in the visiting goal managed to drop on the ball to smother it and ease the pressure.

Ellon responded with Mark Lawson’s header from a free kick by Matty Bremner which was deflected behind for a corner. The cross was cleared but fell to Blair Johnston whose shot was deflected for another corner.

With 26 minutes gone, Callum Dunbar picked out Jordan Morrice who was denied by a fine save from Stewart, diving to his left to turn the ball round the post.

Ellon took the lead in the 33rd minute from yet another corner. Lawson rose to meet the cross and his header back into the danger area was knocked home by Dunbar at the back post.

In a frantic spell of Ellon pressure, Dunbar looked to have doubled Ellon’s lead within a minute, only to be kept out by a fantastic save by Stewart.

Three minutes later another Dunbar header was cleared off the line as the visitors searched for a second goal. The closing action of the first half saw neat work up Ellon’s left result in Paul Leahy firing over a cross which was met by Calum Annand but his shot flew over.

The home side had obviously been given a good pep talk at the interval and started to take the game to Ellon. In the 58th minute a long ball fell to McKinnon with the visitors looking for offside, but Callum Steer was able to usher the striker wide and his cutback went behind.

Ellon conceded a free kick in a dangerous position outside their box with Lenny Johnston cautioned for his rash challenge, however the home side failed to cash in.

Ellon made a change soon after with Ryan Stewart replacing Lenny Johnson up front.

Lewis were rewarded for their second half efforts in the 83rd minute. The visitors lost possession with Lewis breaking quickly and delivering a deep diagonal cross which was headed back into the path of substitute McAuley to fire home the leveller.

Lewis won a free kick in the 86th minute with the Ellon defence clearing the low driven cross for a corner.

Ellon regained the lead two minutes later when Annand worked his way forward up the right and swung over a tempting cross which was well met by Dunbar who headed his side back in front.

Lewis substitute Gray was shown a second yellow card in the 93rd minute, allowing Ellon to run down the remaining time.

The points proved well earned in the end but Ellon might have been made to pay the price of not having put the game to rest when they were on top. They make the trip to Fraserburgh United on Saturday, kick-off 2pm.


Ellon United: Steer, Bremner, Johnston, Tait, Allsop, Lawson, Annand, Leahy, Johnson (Stewart), Dunbar, Morrice, Lamberty, Reid, Mathers, Bailey.

Lewuis United: S Stewart, Goate, Valentine, C Stewart, Fyvie, Crisp, Buchanan, Smith, McKinnon, Pirie, Murray, McAuley, Robertson, Gray, Cook, Ingram.