High winds call a halt to Forres Locos match

editorial image

HIGH winds ensured that Saturday’s game at Mosset Park between Forres Mechanics and Inverurie Locos was stopped with the two teams locked together at 0-0.

From the kick-off, the game was no spectacle whatsoever with neither side able to play more than a few passes before giving up possession.

It came as no surprise the best chance of the match arose from a set-piece, when Forres frontman Kyle Scott nodded the ball just over the bar from close range after Simon Allan’s left wing delivery towards the back post.

Inverurie’s best chance came after Dean Donaldson rode the challenge of Paul Smith before crossing the ball into the box, where Forres defender Graeme Grant almost inadvertently turned the ball into his own net when he sliced the ball out for a corner with an attempted clearance.

Play was almost concluded after twenty one minutes. Locos keeper Andy Reid took a goal kick which swerved dramatically before ending up on the roof of the Mosset Park stand. The referee then consulted both managers about the dangerous conditions, before deciding to continue with the match.

With half an hour gone the strong winds had not abated and neither side seemed able to get to grips with the conditions so referee Alan Frew felt he had no choice but to bring proceedings to a halt.

Both managers agreed with the decision to call a halt on proceedings, with Locos co-manager Scott Buchan saying: “It was definitely the right decision to call the game off. The referee gave things a good go but the game was terrible, a complete farce, so it was always going to be called off.” Locos now take a break from their seemingly relentless push towards edging Nairn County and Formartine United away from second place in the table as Brora march on towards the title.

They kick off their Breedon Aggregates Highland League Cup campaign with a visit to Grantown and a clash with Strathspey Thistle on Saturday, kick-off at 3pm.

Locos were beaten in last year’s Final by Keith but since reached successive Cup Finals in Aberdeenshire competitions. It goes without saying a fourth final in a row would be an amazing achievement, but Kenny Coull and Scott Buchan will look no further than Saturday’s proceedings .