Honours are even between Locos and Formartine

Lachlan Stewart opens the scoring for Colony Locos against Formartine
Lachlan Stewart opens the scoring for Colony Locos against Formartine

With a near wipe out of Highland League and junior fixtures the local derby between Colony Locos and Formatine United was one of only two matches to survive in the juveniles.

Formartine with a 100 per cent record in the league and having defeated Locos earlier in a cup competition started favourites and this was evident in the first ten minutes or so when the home side were showing signs of their long lay-off and the visitors started strongly.

An early breakthrough for the visitors looked possible when Cammy Garden in the home goal hesitated when a through ball should have been his and he only just made a clearance as Silva chased down the ball. At the other end the Formartine keeper Thomson came for a ball bouncing at the edge of the box and realising catching it would take him outside he headed the ball clear with Gordon waiting to pounce on any mistake.

Some tackles were also causing the referee a few issues but he missed the most contentious decision when Formartine’s Silva again chased a through ball and, unable to get there, pushed defender Ben Leslie into keeper Garden who cleared, but was injured as result of the clash. Garden was carried off and the referee took no action much to the disgust of the Locos sideline.

Defensive midfielder Michael Walls took over in goals and made a couple of good early stops as Formartine sought to test him but then saw little action in the remainder of the first half as both teams cancelled each other out and there was little goalmouth action at either end.

The second half started brightly with Locos forcing the opposition back and starting to get the ball wide and creating some more scoring opportunities. With the play predominantly in the Formartine half the visitors were still dangerous and content to hit on the break.

With thirty minutes to go Stewart replaced Burr and went up front with Gordon moving to wide right and this seemed to give Colony a lift. Within minutes of the change Gordon linked with McCabe who fed the ball over the defence for Stewart to run on to and he lifted the ball over the advancing keeper but only on to the roof of the net.

With around twenty minutes remaining the home side finally broke the deadlock which was probably merited on the second half performance. Gordon laid the ball into McCabe who drove down the right hand side of the 18 yard box before squaring perfectly to STEWART who steered the ball under the keeper with his left foot from 4 yards.

The visitors finished the stronger and deservedly grabbed an equaliser with less than ten minutes remaining when some slack defensive play allowed a cross ball to find SILVA in the right place to drive a shot into the corner past Walls. Both teams went out for the winner but there was to be no further scoring and they had to settle for a share 
of the points .

Colony Locos: Garden, Lesley, Laird, MacDonald, Littlejohn, Mitchell, Burr, Woodgreaves, Hay, Gordon, McCabe

Subs: Watt, Walls, West, Simpson, Stuart

Formartine: Thomson, Rose, Clark, Fraser, Keith, Benzie, Imray, D Clark, Firth, Tewnion, Silva

Subs: Ritchie, S Clark, Aiken, Tremaine, Findley