Honours even with Colony Juniors and Lewis United

Matty McDonald was among the scorers in Colony Park Juniors 3-3 draw at the Sports Village with Lewis United
Matty McDonald was among the scorers in Colony Park Juniors 3-3 draw at the Sports Village with Lewis United

COLONY Park Juniors and Lewis United shared the points 3-3 in a match which Colony Park seemed to have in the bag until a very late Lewis United equaliser.

On a fine afternoon at the Aberdeen Sports Village Lewis United made the early breakthrough in the second minute when a mistake by Duguid left the Lewis player with the simple task of putting the ball into an empty net.

Colony’s first chance came in 17 minutes when McDonald had a shot well saved by the Lewis keeper. On 27 minutes Calvin Roddie was taken down in heavy tackle which resulted in a yellow card for the Lewis player. Colony were now pushing hard for the equaliser with Strachan and Roddie going close. In 38 minutes Bissett crossed well from the left and Mark ROBINSON scored his first goal for Colony Park levelling the score at one all. There was no further scoring in the first half leaving the teams even at the interval on 1-1.

Colony Park started the second half well and the took the lead in 49 minutes when after a great run and cross by Roddie, Matty McDONALD was on hand to turn the ball into the net from close range. Park came close to increasing their lead in 55 minutes after a Strachan shot was blocked and the ball came to Brown whose header hit the bar and was then cleared by the Lewis defence. Lewis United were reduced to ten men in 58 minutes, however the sending off appeared to galvanise the home team and they drew level six minutes later with a well taken goal.

Colony almost hit back a minute later when McDonald was through on goal. He hit a great shot past the keeper only to see it strike the post. Four minutes later Colony Park were back in the lead when following a good run by McDonald his shot could only be parried by the Lewis keeper and Calvin RODDIE following up to strike the ball into the net.

A couple of minutes later Strachan saw hit shot go over the bar. For the final twenty minutes of the match there was little goalmouth action until Lewis forced a corner in the second minute of added time. From the corner the ball bobbled around in the box with the Colony Park defence failing to clear and somehow Lewis got the ball in the net to give them an equaliser.

This was a match that Colony Park let slip out of their control and they ended up with only a point rather than three. Park remain top of the Pmac Group Div 1 but the teams behind are closing the gap and they have games in hand.

Colony Park: Duguid; Pugh; Smith; Brown; Crosbie; McGuinness; C Roddie; Robinson; McDonald; Strachan; Bissett

Subs: Bonarius; L Roddie; Turriff; Sim