Late equaliser foils Formartine

Cammy Keith grabbed a hat-trick in Formartine's 6-0 win at Huntly.
Cammy Keith grabbed a hat-trick in Formartine's 6-0 win at Huntly.

A late equaliser prevented Formartine United taking all three points at Forres Mechanics on Saturday.

United looked all set to keep their winning run going but a defensive error five minutes from time meant they had to settle for a 1-1 draw.

Fired up by convincing victories over Buckie Thistle and Cove Rangers, the Pitmedden side produced a solid first half performance. However, the level dropped in the second period and they paid the price at the finish.

The visitors started well and Madle set off at pace down the right and whipped the ball across the box to find Napier who had outpaced his marker to unleash a vicious dipping ball that flew just wide.

Formartine were clearly in the driving seat and an early goal was fully consistent with their dominance.

It came from a break through the inside right channel by McVitie who drilled the ball across the box into the path of Cammy Keith who had timed his run to perfection and clipped it beyond the keeper.

Forres players and fans claimed for offside but as both McVitie and Keith were behind their respective markers when the ball was played to them, the protestations fell on deaf ears.

Formartine were on top and Madle was a thorn in the flesh of the home defence who after Grant was booked after several fouls on the forward, decided to share responsibility for kicking the barnstorming Czech.

It certainly kept the prolific striker off the scoresheet for the first time in a long time and with Bagshaw, who had of late been running a near goal a game average, having a bit of an off target day, United were unable to capitalise on their early lead.

Towards half time a period of end to end stuff came near to producing a goal.

Archibald fed McGovern along the edge of the box before the latter’s fierce low drive was turned round his left upright by Shearer. The resulting corner was quickly cleared upfield and Madle burst through the centre with only Knight to beat but just as he was about to shoot, he was tripped from behind by McPherson.

A free kick and a booking seemed scant recompense for denying the prolific forward his best chance of the game. Anderson chipped the free diagonally into an area in front of the left post and Bagshaw did well to get a header on the ball, but the keeper was close enough to make a fairly comfortable save.

The second half began with Formartine withdrawing McVitie, who had developed a hamstring problem, and replacing him with Munro.

Initially Formartine were able to continue their pressure and forced several unrewarded corners over the first 15 minutes.

United had less penetration than in the first half and defences were on top.

Just when it looked as though there would be no more scoring, Forres levelled the match.

It followed Formartine’s only real defensive mistake of the game when an inswinging corner to the back post found McPherson alone and unmarked to head home.


Forres Mechanics: Knight, Smith, Allan, Grant, McHerson, Moore, L Fraser, McGovern, S Fraser, Kutsishvill, Archibald. Substitutes: Duncan, Pick, A Fraser, Forbes, McIntosh, Hutcheson, Bowden.

Formartine United: Shearer, McVitie, Smith, Jeffrey, Hay, Clark, Napier, Madle, Keith, Anderson, Bagshaw. Substitutes: McKay, Dingwall, Duguid, Munro.