Late, late show by Formartine

Formartine United staged a remarkable comeback on Saturday, scoring three goals in the closing minutes to secure a 4-2 victory over Clachnacuddin.

Wednesday, 1st October 2014, 9:00 am
Cammy Keith celebrates his goal
Cammy Keith celebrates his goal

Formartine dominated proceedings from the outset as Madle and McKay supported by the speedy Napier broke through the centre and showed immediately that they not only meant business but had the equipment in the way of pace and muscle to severely stretch the visiting rearguard.

In the sixth minute Clach broke forward and in the second phase of play from a corner on the right, the ball was only half cleared by Napier. MORRISON seized his chance and drilled the ball hard and low into the corner of the net.

After a period of sustained and intense pressure where they forced corners at either side Formartine had their big guys from further back – Hay and McKeown up in the Clach box looking for some aerial action. A ball from Anderson out wide left was floated in to the near post where centre back HAY beat Skinner and keeper MacDonald to the ball and forced it over the line from no more than a yard or two out.

The second half began as the first had concluded with Formartine pressing forward and Clach launching the odd long lob down to the corners. Again Formartine were dominating proceedings but yet again Clach managed to pinch a goal against the run of play. After another spell of Formartine pressure, a long over the top ball it was knocked back via a Formartine defender to Shearer who was forced to kick clear. The kick was severely sliced and fell straight to Grant who bore in on goal with only McKeown in the immediate vicinity. The captain made the challenge and managed to extract the ball but it was definitely mounted from behind and thereby illegal. The referee awarded a yellow card and a penalty kick. MORRISON hit it low and hard to Shearer’s right and although the big keeper got pretty close to it he could not prevent Clach taking the lead for the second time.

In the 88th minute after intense Formartine pressure around the goal mouth the ball spun loose a foot or two from the base of the keepers left upright and the quickest to react was McVITIE who got a boot to it to force the ball home to equalise.

Clach threw caution to the wind and their attempts at attack gave Formartine the space they needed. An over the top ball from Formartine reached sub Cammy KEITH in acres of space. He simply did what he did best and ran on in on the keeper before lashing the ball past him into the net to establish a very late lead.

Formartine again cashed in on Clach pushing forward with an excellent solo goal from DUGUID who simply streaked down the left wing cut in about fifteen yards short of the goal line and hit a perfectly angled cross cum shot low to the back post.

Formartine United: Shearer, Munro, Smith, McKeown, Hay, Dingwall, Napier, McVitie, McKay, Andereson, Madle.

Clachnacuddin: A.MacDonald, Skinner, Finnis, Doran, McGurk, Fitzpatrick, Lawrie, MaCallum, Morrison, Grant, Watson.