Locos climb league table with win

Locos skipper Neil McLean is denied by the Huntly keeper Hobday
Locos skipper Neil McLean is denied by the Huntly keeper Hobday
Share this article

A goal in each half saw Inverurie Loco Works win 2-0 and move into fourth place ahead of Formartine United, as Huntly’s poor record at Harlaw Park continued with no wins at the venue since February 2009.

Locos were still missing injured goalkeeper Andy Reid with Scott Mathieson getting his third start as they went with the same starting eleven which defeated Keith 3-1 midweek.

The home side threatened after two minutes when former Huntly defender Ross Anderson headed wide unchallenged. Martin Bavidge found the side-netting with a left-footed drive on the quarter-hour mark after getting in between defender and full back. Lewis Ingram, a late inclusion for the away team, forced a low save from Mathieson after a Mark Gray attempt was blocked.

Locos were still pushing for an opener and created further chances when Fraser Hobday got down to hold a Bavidge drive after the forward dragged the ball onto his right foot. Shortly after, a quick pass from Neil McLean played in Jordan Leyden as Hobday tipped over.

The deadlock was broken in the 34th minute when Locos were awarded a penalty kick after a Blair Johnston trip on Jordan Leyden. Martin BAVIDGE sent the goalkeeper the wrong way with his third penalty of the campaign to bring his tally to twelve for the season.

Craig Dorrat ran onto a Neale Davidson lay-off five minutes later before firing wide of the upright while Hobday again denied the opposition before the break when he held a David Ross effort.

A controversial moment in the 59th saw Adam McNamee tripped by Greg Mitchell as he ran towards the opposition box. Mitchell was cautioned for the challenge while there were strong protests from the visiting players who felt it was a goal scoring opportunity as captain Mark Lawson was cautioned for asking referee Calum Spence about the decision. Callum Dunbar struck the dead ball up and over the wall as 
Mathieson held.

A point-blank stop from Hobday kept out McLean as the home side were looking to double their lead.

In the 67th minute, Mathieson was pulled up for handling a back pass. Mathieson’s reaction to the decision saw the keeper throw the ball out of play which resulted in a caution. Substitute David Booth rolled the free kick short to Neale Davidson but McLean did well to block.

There were claims for a penalty from the hosts when they felt Mark Gray had handled against Leyden.

The score was doubled in the 73rd minute when David ROSS had time on the ball and his low drive took a nick off a Huntly leg to find the bottom corner. Martin Bavidge found the side netting again, this time from a free kick after a Mark Lawson challenge.

Huntly picked up their first red card of the season when Craig Dorrat was shown a second yellow card following a late challenge.

Vilius Makaravičius drilled across the face of goal late one while Huntly finished the game with nine men after Callum Dunbar went down with a shoulder injury into stoppage time, with all three subs committed.

Locos: Mathieson, Mitchell, Maitland, Begg (Donaldson 59), Anderson, Forsyth, Ross, McLean, Leyden (Keir 80), Bavidge(Broadhurst 87), Young

Subs: Still, Michie

Huntly: Hobday, Johnston, G Davidson, Dorrat, Ingram, Lawson, McNamee (Booth 66), McCulloch, Dunbar, Gray (Makaravicius 74), N Davidson

Subs: Guild, Harrison

Referee: C Spence

This Saturday Locos are away to Buckie Thistle with kick off at 3pm.