More points dropped as Ellon United battle to stay up

editorial image

For the second consecutive Saturday a last gasp equaliser cost Ellon United two precious league points in their fight for survival.

The result keeps them dangerously in the relegation zone but at least their safety is now entirely in their own hands.

The wind played a major factor as United and Culter fought out their 3 – 3 draw on a hard firey pitch at The Meadows.

The home side were thrown a lifeline when McArthur was red carded for a petulant kick and regained the lead in the 82nd minute only to gift Culter their second equaliser in the 90th minute when the unfortunate Warren Robertson completely misjudged a long free kick which bounced over his head and in.

United passed up several good early chances before taking the lead in the 7th minute as the visitors were unable to clear a corner with Dean McDonald pouncing to fire home.

United doubled their advantage with the goal of the day in the 26th minute when Dean McDonald laid the ball off to James Wilson whose fine cross was headed home by Aidan Greig.

United were caught out at a corner within two minutes of the second half only to be saved by Aidan Greig`s goal line clearance but they were really punished three minutes later when theyallowed another corner to flash across their goal to the unmarked Scott McArthur waiting to head home.

Culter drew level in the 52nd minute when United gave Calum Murray far too much time and space to move forward in midfield to fire home the equaliser.

Culter were reduced to ten men in the 56th minute when goalscorer McArthur was shown a straight red.

United took the lead again with Craig Marshall collecting Tito Silva`s cut back and turning inside to shoot home off the inside of the post.

A shot from former United striker Andy Anderson found the side net before disaster struck in the 90th minute when Warren Robertson`s mishap saw James Fettes` free kick beat the unfortunate keeper by his misjudgement of the bounce.