Taste of victory at last for Ellon United

Ellon United picked up three valuable points with a 2-1 win at Hall Russell United on Saturday.

The victory brought an end to a miserable run of defeats.

It was the usual tight encounter between the sides with Ellon going ahead only to be pegged back before the break, but they regain their advantage midway through the second period.

With Callum Steer on holiday, Ellon were once again fortunate to get Tony Buckley for cover in goal and, in the continued absence of Paul Leahy and Lewis McCaulay, Calum Annand returned to the midfield following his spell out through injury.

Jack Sim also made a return off the bench in the second halgf after his pre-season injury.

An even opebning 15 minutes saw Ellon have the better half chances without pulling the trigger but that changed in the 19th minute when Chris Craib found Andy Anderson who moved forward before sending a fine chip shot into keeper Carroll’s far top corner.

Russell’s Christin Mackie broke out wide in the 36th minute but his shot-cum-cross flew harmlessly wide of the far post.

Ellon conceded a corner five minutes before the interval and in the ensuing goalmouth scramble an overhead effort hit the raised arm of Craib.

The referee awarded a penalty and yellow carded the Ellon defender. Lewis Forbes stepped up to drill home the spot kick.

The visitors missed the chance to get their noses back in front just on half time when Craib took the ball top the byeline and cut it back to Neil Erskine who put his first-time effort wide of the far post.

Ellon regained the lead 19 minutes after the interval.

They were awarded a free kick which was flighted into the box by Grant Thomson to be met by Shaun Robertson. Carroll managed to parry the header, but the midfielder followed up to bundle the ball home.

Neat work from Robertson on the left ended with him laying the ball off to Andy Anderson whose shot flew over before Ellon made their first change with Callum Tremaine replacing Erskine.

Ellon forced a free kick in the 75th minute. Thomson took the set piece again with Anderson meeting the cross only to see his glancing header flash wide.

The visitors made a second change with Sim replacing Lenny Johnson.

Hall Russell were reduced to 10 men over the closing minutes when Russell was given his second caution but Ellon were almost caught out when a lapse in concentration gave the home side a glimpse of goal which, fortunately, went unpunished.

Ellon United: Buckley, Scully, Craib, Thomson, Allsop, Millsom, Johnson (Sim), Annand, Andy Anderson, Erskine (Tremaine), Robertson, McLeod, Greig, Grant Anderson.

Hall Russell United: G Carroll, Russell, Goodwin, Whitfield, S Carroll, Christin Mackie, Forbes, Craig Mackie, Crisp, Mews, Spink, Tait, Pugh, Mines, Simpson.

United are on league business again on Saturday when Inverness City pay their first visit to The Meadows. Kick off is 2pm.

Meanwhile, the winning numbers in the club’s weekly Lucky Six draw were 4,5,6,7,9 and 13. With no one picking the full set, the jackpot for next week’s draw will be £1000, with the selection 6 from 20.

The consolation prizewinner was D Shearer.